Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Yardman Snow Thrower - Drive Help

01-24-05, 07:13 AM   #1  
Yardman Snow Thrower - Drive Help

Hello everyone, I am new to this board. I have a 7 HP 24" Snow Thrower. Have really had no problems with it until recently. The drive belt had snapped, so I bought myself some new belts. When I went to replace the belt I noticed the drive plate was damaged. So I replaced the drive plate and changed the belt. But the snow thrower does not want to move in any gear. I took the belt cover off and noticed that the belt does not really tighten enough around the pulleys. I can see the gear spinning from the motor but the belt is not spinning. Is there any way to tighten the belt tensioner? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-24-05, 11:10 AM   #2  
Azis
Were the replacement belts the correct Manufactures replacement belts? Does the damaged plate lead to any other damage? Is the new belt properly routed?
If you can find the model #'s you can find manuals online.
Not sure on snowthrowers but some yardman products I find manuals at sears
http://www3.sears.com/

01-24-05, 11:15 AM   #3  
Yes the belts are geniune MTD replacement parts and the part #'s match what is in the manuals. Just seems to me that there must be a way to adjust the tensioner or maybe the tensioner has broken.

Visiting Guest

01-24-05, 11:24 AM   #4  
Azis
The tensioner should have a spring of some sort on it. Is it still intact? Also what engages the tensioner? Possibly linkage damaged or off loose...?
Just mentioning some things I would check, I am not really a snowthrower guy but I bet some will pop in.

GL

01-24-05, 11:32 AM   #5  
Thanks for some of your advice. I have check the tensioner and the spring is still there. The tensioner is engaged by the depressing the handle on the snowblower. When I depress the handle the snowblower seems like it wants to go but then it doesn't. I noticed if I depress the handle just a little then she starts to move slowly. There is an adjustment on the cable going to the drive but I followed the manufacturer's instructions in the manual and still get the same thing. Hope someone else out here has run into the same or similar problem and can help.

01-28-05, 08:43 AM   #6  
Does anyone have any info on this. I need to get this repaired and would really hate to bring it to a shop.

CANADA

01-28-05, 12:31 PM   #7  
apane
This might sound silly but what if in the manual they made a typo and printed the wrong belt number? If you can, match the size of the broken belt up against the new one or better yet, see if there is a number stamped on the broken belt. As Azis said, If just the belt broke it should be a straight forward replacement.

snoman

Search this Thread