Snowblower won't start but worked 4 days ago?

Old 01-24-05, 07:24 AM
Feneant
Visiting Guest
Snowblower won't start but worked 4 days ago?

Hi, this is my first post so apologies if I am missing anything.

I have a 10hp Craftsman snowblower that will not start this morning. The funny part is I used it last Thursday where it worked flawlessly and started on the first pull. Now this morning, I did the usual, but it won't start. The engine doesn't even try to engage, it just cranks and gives me nothing. I eventually flooded it so grabbed a shovel but I'll need to use it at some point.

I'm going to try the electric start after work and if it does start, let it burn through all the gas in there to replace it (it's a few months old), but if it happens to not start, any recommendations? I am not particularly savyy when it comes to these things- I (duh) left gas in it all summer but drained it in November and it worked then, should I maybe drain it again to fill it with fresh gas? Or could it be that water got in the gas tank, I couldn't see there being more than maybe a 0.0001% concentration of water in there. How about freezing? Could it be that the gas line is frozen?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-05, 07:30 AM
I think you answered your own question. You either have moisture in the fuel line or carb that is frozen, or your stale gas has gummed up your carb. The first problem is easily solved by taking the machine into a heated area to thaw out. If the second problem is what has happened, then you need to clean out the carb. Moisture gets every where when blowing snow, and is most likely what you have.

Old 01-24-05, 07:55 AM
Feneant
Visiting Guest
I guess that could be it, but I found it odd that it worked late last week but not this morning.

If it is frozen, I'll take a blowdryer to it to see if it'll help, is there a way to prevent it from freezing? Can you put gasline antifreeze in this kind of motor? I've only put in carburetor cleaner and nothing else at this time.

Old 01-25-05, 08:52 AM
You can mix "Dry-gas" with your fuel in the proper ratio as specified on the can to try to eliminate water in the fuel. In other words I wouldn't put a full bottle in a one gallon gas can. As to how to prevent freezing up linkages, etc in the future, one common method is when you are done blowing snow, let the machine sit and run for 5 minutes to allow the engine's own heat to dry it out.