Need advice on adding Electric Start to Snowblower

Old 01-26-05, 11:01 AM
sting0r
Visiting Guest
Need advice on adding Electric Start to Snowblower

Sorry if this is a double post, some weird post showed up about an old chevy engine...Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I have just purchased a new MTDŽ YARD-MACHINE 2-STAGE COMPACT SNOWTHROWER (31A-3BAD700) from Acehardware. Wasn't a bad deal and I wanted to get the smallest 2 stage I could find as I have very limited room to store it. Was thinking about adding an electric start (OEM-390-986 - Electric Start Kit), wanted to know if this is something I can do myself or do I need to get a professional? It's a Techumsah 5.5hp 4cycle engine. I see the kits is like $125-150, so it might not be the smartest thing from an economics point of view, but I figured I would research it and probably bite the bullet as the reason I bought it was it's the smallest 2 stage I could find.

Any advice from someone who has installed this or knows where I can find instructions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-05, 11:56 AM
sting0r
Adding an electric starter is a good idea. The first thing is to see if your motor is set up to take an electric starter kit. Usually the motor has a tag on it saying "this motor is equipped to take an electric starter". Yes it's a job you can do yourself as long as you're a little mechanically inclined. There may be a little drilling involved to mount the push button box but other than that it should be a 3/8 or 5/16" 1/4 drive socket or the mounting bolts will be a Torx head.
It's pretty straight forward. One thing to make sure of is when you're finished mounting the starter, it has to be mounted firmly to the engine block. In other words, the starter can't be loose otherwise you may strip the starter gear or ring gear when you use it.

snoman

Old 01-27-05, 01:59 PM
electric start

If you look at your engine near the base under the tank you will see a flat plate called the bubble cover in the Tecumseh instructions for installing an electric starter. The bubble cover is rather circular and holds on to the pull starter shroud with one screw. Take the bubble cover off and view the flywheel through the opening .If the outer edge of the flywheel has teeth then you are looking at the ring gear and you can install the electric starter. No teeth and your unit can't accept electric start.

The starter kit for Tecumseh comes with all the necessary mounting hardware and requires no drilling.The switch is routed to the top of the engine cover where two perforated dimples of the correct distance accept two self tapping machine screws which are included.The starter itself mounts to the block using four supplied shoulder screws for which the block is already tapped.
Make sure you get the correct starter for your engine as there are several different sizes.
Marc

Last edited by mml4; 01-27-05 at 04:06 PM.