Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Battery question

AL

01-26-05, 04:49 PM   #1  
Battery question

My son has a Cub Cadet model 1027 (the one that's shaped like a lady-bug). It has a smaller motorcycle battery. The problem is, he left the plates uncovered since early last fall. I have put some distilled water in it and put a 12V battery charger on it for six hours. The battery charger registers VERY low current. After six hours there was 0 response with a hydrometer. Is there any way to recover this new battery...or is all hope gone. I was thinking of rigging up a bridge rectifier with a variac, so that maybe I could pump some more current in it. It maybe just hopeless.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-26-05, 09:50 PM   #2  
You might get it back to working if the plates are not badly sulphated or shorted. Try dumping the water and adding battery electrolyte. It is available at battery specialty stores and some auto parts places.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

01-27-05, 10:25 AM   #3  
Rather than run the chance of getting acid on you, your clothes, or the mower, I would opt for a new battery. You should be able to get one for $25-$30. Most big boxes will soon have spring battery sales for mower batteries.

AL

01-27-05, 03:26 PM   #4  
Battery question

I put the battery back on charge (without doing anything) and it was gassing pretty heavyly this morning. The hydrometer reading is at full charge on four of the cells and the other two seem to be coming alive also. I've got some battery acid and was wondering if I should add acid to the weak cells?

Search this Thread