Tecumseh turns over but doesn't fire

Old 01-28-05, 05:56 AM
Boogy11
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh turns over but doesn't fire

I've read through many posts and tried a few things but still can't get a start. Keep in mind that I am a neophyte when it comes to engines...

My tractor (which is a snowblower at the moment) stopped working after running great so far all winter. Basically, it just turns over and won't start. The engine is a Tecumseh OHV130 (13hp).

I removed the plug and cleaned it (pretty dirty). It was wet, so I believe fuel is getting there. Replaced it and still no luck starting. I sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake and it started then died as soon as the s/fluid burned off. From what I have read so far, my guess is that the carb is dirty and needs a cleaning?

Since I am not skilled in this area (although I am handy), is there anything I can try without going as far as removing the carb and cleaning it? Spray cleaner or something?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-05, 05:56 AM
water in gas

You say the sparkplug is wet. Is this moisture evenly spread over the tiip or is it beaded like water will do? I'm guessing you have water in your gas. Some tecumseh's have a drain on the bottom of the carb bowl. It is a small knob with a spring under it. Hold a small white container under the drain and drain some gas in it. You should be able to see any water in the gas. If no drain valve, you'll have to remove the float bowl. There is a half inch hex head on the bottom of float bowl, remove it and carefully remove float bowl. If water is present in either case, drain gas out of tank. Reassembled and fill tank with gas you know has no water in it. This seems to be the primary problem with power snow removal due to cold weather. If it is below freezing when you do this, you'll have to have carb/gas tank warm in order to melt the ice
Hope this helps,
Mike A

Old 01-29-05, 01:19 PM
scan
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Boogy11
I've read through many posts and tried a few things but still can't get a start. Keep in mind that I am a neophyte when it comes to engines...

My tractor (which is a snowblower at the moment) stopped working after running great so far all winter. Basically, it just turns over and won't start. The engine is a Tecumseh OHV130 (13hp).

I removed the plug and cleaned it (pretty dirty). It was wet, so I believe fuel is getting there. Replaced it and still no luck starting. I sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake and it started then died as soon as the s/fluid burned off. From what I have read so far, my guess is that the carb is dirty and needs a cleaning?

Since I am not skilled in this area (although I am handy), is there anything I can try without going as far as removing the carb and cleaning it? Spray cleaner or something?
Check the air cleaner to be sure its clean. You can remove it and try starting it as a test. If it starts, you need a new, or clean air filter.
Also, check to be sure that the carb is mounted securely to the engine intake. I've seen instances more than once where the bolts that hold the carb/air intake to the engine have loosened up and thereby letting air leak into the cylinder without going through the carb.
If that doesn't work, look for a small screw under the carb,protruding downward from a bowl shaped devise. Carefully turn the srew 1/2 turn right, then back to where you started, then left 1/2 and back to starting postion.
Do this 4 or 5 times-you may feel it free up somewhat.
Try starting again

Old 01-31-05, 05:39 AM
Boogy11
Visiting Guest
Thanks to those who replied. I took apart the carb bowl and sprayed carb cleaner in various holes. Additionally, I drained all fuel and changed the fuel filter (although I don't think it needed it). When I was looking inside the air intake after romoving the filter I noticed something laying in the bottom of the chamber. Turned out to be a frozen pool of water. Guess that ansers the question of whenter I had water in my carb.

I could start it with carb cleaner sprayed in the air intake with the filter removed, but it would just die. I kept spraying it in to keep it running and it eventually cleaned itself out and stayed running. Seams to be fine now.

RS

Old 01-31-05, 08:52 AM
When blowing snow, it manages to get in everywhere, including the air intake for your carb. I have seen air filters that look like ice cubes, preventing any air from getting into the engine and I suspect that this is what happened to you. After you are done blowing snow, let the machine run at full throttle for 10 minutes or so to let the engine's own heat dry it out some. This won't garantee to eliminate the problem, but usually works.

Old 01-31-05, 03:24 PM
air cleaner

I think the lawn tractors being used with snowblowers/blades wouuld be better off without the air filter since there is no dust in the air. Few ,if any, of the walk behind snowblowers have air filters. Just attach a note to the mower deck to remind yourself to reinstall the air filter.
Mike A