removing augers and gearbox

Old 01-29-05, 01:35 PM
scan
Visiting Guest
removing augers and gearbox

I have a Toro 521 snowblower mod 38052 serial in the 9000's.
It appears the worm gear or ring gear in the auger drive box is partially stripped. I don't know how it could have happened with shear pins in place.
Any advice on removing the augers and gearbox? I looked closely today but can't see how I can drop the augers' and their horizontal shaft down from the intake area. The drive shaft inputs the gearbox from the rear, directly fom the impeller. Am I wasting my time trying to get the gear box accessible and opened up, as opposed to taking to a reapir shop ( where I assume they'll replace the entire auger/shaft/gearbox assembly)
does anyone know if i can just open the gearbox case and get to the gears without removing the auger assembly?

Last edited by scan; 01-29-05 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 09:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gera box

no you can't--sorry. You have to split the case and the auger housing apart. Remove the auger drive pulley and then you can drop the whole assembly out. On some models the sides come off the auger housing--in that case you only have to take one side off(sometimes both)-remove the auger-spit the case- replace the gear-re-assemble.

Old 01-31-05, 05:24 AM
scan
Visiting Guest
Cool

thanks tech
it appears that the augers mount at each end to the auger intake housing

i think i could remove those hex screws, then remove clip type rings that hold the augers to the shaft.

this gearbox housing is filled with a grease lubricant rather than oil. do you think i am getting into a bigger mess - literally and figuratively-than a weekend mechanic should?

Old 01-31-05, 02:03 PM
S
gearbox repair

heck no--it builds character--
Grease is preferred because it doesn't leak out like oil.
Most mnf's use grease now. Those snap rings come off easy and the box usually comes apart easy as well. The gear is usually brass and the grease is full of filings. You won't have to clean it to a spotless shine--just remove as much as you can with a putty knife and wipe it out. Stuff lots and lots of grease back in before you re-assemble. Cover everything. Watch the bushings on the input shaft--they have a raised side that sits in a dent in the cast housing and will only go back in that position(stops the bushing from turning)

Lotsa luck

Old 01-31-05, 02:06 PM
S
I forgot to ask--can you get the side plate off the auger housing?? You may have to break the thing aprt at the back by the belts.

S/T

Old 02-01-05, 10:32 AM
scan
Visiting Guest
no, i can't
but from the look of it i think that once the end screws that hold the augers to the housing are removed, i will be able to slightly rotate the entire auger shaft and gear box far enough to remove the snap rings and slide the augers off each end of the shaft ( one at a time)
Thanks for your help
as you can see, many read this one but only you responded

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: