Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Installing Ariens 824 Attachment Belt

Visiting Guest

01-28-05, 08:29 AM   #1  
Mason156
Installing Ariens 824 Attachment Belt

The belt on my 2001 Ariens 824 jumped off the attachment pulley. It is still intact. From what I read in the manual, I have to take the whole front housing off to reinstall it. Anyone know if this is true? Also, if it is true, is it sufficiently difficult/painful to replace it that I should just replace both belts while I'm in there?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links

CANADA

01-28-05, 12:38 PM   #2  
steve
Kinda curious.....why the belt jumped off in the first place.
To split the machine...if it's like the older Ariens, there are 4 bolts (2 on top and 2 on the bottom) where the impeller housing meets the transmission. You may only have to loosen the bottom bolts if it's on a hinge type setup and remove the top ones. But when you take the top ones out, make sure that the handles of the machine are up against something or else they will drop backward. After you get them out, you will be able to pivot the handles back now so you can get at the bottom pulley to replace the belt(s)
Just do the opposite to reinstall.
One other thing is you may have a brake system to contend with when you put the belt on, you may have to engage the auger just enough to clear the brake from the pulley and slip the belt on.

snoman

Visiting Guest

01-28-05, 01:22 PM   #3  
Roberte1
Steve,

Snoman is correct. I would also add the you carefully inspect the belt. Sometimes the belt stretches and could lead to it coming of the pulley. Have a spare belt at the ready incase you need to replace the old one. I'm sure you don't wan't to take it apart twice

Good Luck

Roberte1

Visiting Guest

01-31-05, 05:09 PM   #4  
Mason156
Just an update. I finally got a chance to address my problem and what I found is that the cast hub hub that atttaches the pulley to the shaft had cracked, leaving my auger pulley free to vibrate and shake the belt like crazy. I will replace the part tomorrow and am hoping that that is the end of my problem. Thanks for the help - it was very welcome.

Steve

Search this Thread