Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ariens Impeller Bearing Replacement

Visiting Guest

02-01-05, 06:08 AM   #1  
70Duster
Ariens Impeller Bearing Replacement

Hello,

I have just acquired a 1994 Ariens 824 from my mom that she did some damage to. She hit something and ripped the scraper off the front housing and sent it right into the auger. The repair shop told her $700.00 to $900.00 to repair it and 3 weeks time. So she bought a new one and I saved her the $35.00 disposal fee and took her old one to try to fix it on my own. I have so far cut the remaining two bolts holding the scraper on and removed it. It needs and impeller bearing and I am not exactly sure how to replace it.

It looks as though if you remove the bottom cover then you can see where the bolts come through. There is a pulley where a belt connect to and it has three bolts holding it on. Then in front of that (heading towards the front of the machine) there is a sleeve of some sort that connects to the impeller shaft and is held on by an allen bolt. Then if this is removed I may be able to get at the nuts that hold the shaft in.

Does this sound right?? I don't want to remove a whole bunch of things that do not need to be! I don't have to remove the auger from the front do I??

If anyone has any instructions for this it would be greatly appreciated!

Also when the scraper ripped off it tore the bolts out of the holes.... Any ideas on how to fabricate something on the front housing so taht I could attach a new scraper? The housing is $350.00 and I would rather try to fab up something and spend the $$ as a last resort!

Thanks,

Mike

Sponsored Links

NY

02-09-05, 01:12 PM   #2  
Sorry for the lack of replies but I can help you out here. To replace the impeller bearing the gearbox assembly must be removed from the auger housing. First the housing must be removed from the main frame though. Not a big project. Remove the belt cover. Remove the belt guide. Loop the auger belt off the engine pulley.There are two bolts (at a 45 degree angle) that allows the two halves to open like a book. When opening be aware of the brake - just pay attention when disassembling so you know how to reassemble later - it's simple - just look closely on the right side of the pulley (as viewed from the rear). The housing can now be lifted off the hinge at the bottom and then be serviced. You will have to disconnect the brake spring and remove the pulley by way of a set screw. You MAY get lucky and remove the three nuts from the outer bearing retainer without the inner retainer falling out and behind the impeller fan. If unlucky, remove the center bolt as well as the three smaller nuts from the auger shaft ends. You can then, again, if unlucky in the previous step, remove the gearbox assembly from the housing and then replace the bearing. Worst case...if you stumble, take it to a shop and have them complete the job. As far as the scraper goes and since I can't actually see the condition of the housing, you could always weld on a new scraper. You just won't have any adjustability any longer...just keep the shoes adjusted properly and often.

NY

02-12-05, 08:20 AM   #3  
How'd you make out Duster?

Visiting Guest

03-16-05, 04:10 PM   #4  
retrostan
stuck sleeve

Hi,
I was doing the same thing, and ran into a problem at the sleeve on the shaft. I took the two allen bolts out, but it's on there good. Should it come straight off, or is it on threads? Should I heat it up with a mapp torch?

Thanks!
Rob

Search this Thread