John Deere Diesel Troubleshooting

Old 02-01-05, 09:16 AM
SOU510A
Visiting Guest
Unhappy John Deere Diesel Troubleshooting

I borrowed my brother in law's John Deere 770. It is a very small tractor, 3 cyl. diesel. As I was going down the the road, the engine just quit. It did not sputter, miss, smoke, or do anything unusual before it guit. It has fuel, all the fuses look good, and it is in excellent shape. When it is cranking it does not smoke, or give any indication it is going to start. Does anyone know where I should start looking?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 10:26 AM
is the fuel clean[no gas or water]?
im no mechanic, but the fuel pump may have gone bad. can you get fuel if you crack the fuel lines at the block and turn the engine over?
you might get some info over in the automotive forum. great mechanics over there and i bet they know a bit about diesels.

Old 02-01-05, 03:57 PM
fuel filter

Get hold of bro. and see if he knows how to change the fuel filter. If not, better have a qualified mech. change it. If that doesn't make it run, the mech. should know how to find and fix the problem.
Mike A

Old 02-01-05, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, could be a fuel pump or filter, or several other things, like the shutoff solenoid or the circuit that controls it, especially if it has safety switches involved. Was it full of oil?

Old 02-01-05, 09:05 PM
sceptre
Visiting Guest
steve,
it sounds like cheese may be on the right track. turn the key to on, and listen for a click coming from the fuel shutoff solenoid, the fuel could have gelled also. change the fuel filter to be sure, and add power service 911 fuel
treatment. if the solenoid is working it should start. unless there is major problems.
robert