Old Mont. Wards snow blower

Old 02-03-05, 06:56 AM
john16
Visiting Guest
Old Mont. Wards snow blower

Hi,
I am new here and find the site very interesting.
I was given an OLD Mont Wards snow blower (2 stage) I no not know the model however it is extremley heavy and almost looks like a Troy bilte type.
Starts great but at odd times it will shut off . No black smoke but I do have flame from the exhaust at times . I need to replace the rope on the starter ( copied the great thread on replacement).
HELP.
God bless.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-05, 10:28 AM
i would start by pulling the carb and giving it a good cleaning. usually any old machine that has set can benefit from cleaning the carb.

Old 02-08-05, 09:21 AM
The easy starting should eliminate the carburetor as being the problem. The flames from the muffler indicate an ignition problem. You have two choices: 1-replace the points & condensor OR spend a few extra bucks and replace the original ignition coil with a solid state coil therby eliminating the points & condensor and all the hassles that go along with them. This machine likely has a Briggs engine. What are the ID #'s of the engine? If it is an 8 horse the model will start with 19, if it's a 5 horse it will start with 13. The model, type and code will be needed. Post back with these and I'll provide the part number(s) for your two options.