Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Whats up with my choke?

WI

02-08-05, 03:24 PM   #1  
Whats up with my choke?

I have a 1994 MTD 2-stage snowblower, with a 5HP Tecumseh Snow-King engine. It always needs the choke partially engaged in order to run right, even after the engine is warm. If I try to open the choke fully after the engine is warm, it stumbles and quits. The engine always starts on the first pull, and has had seasonal maintenance every year.
Where should I start in diagnosing this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

TX

02-08-05, 10:11 PM   #2  
Adjust main jet

With the engine warm and at full throttle, turn the main jet screw(located on the bottom of carb) out(counterclockwise) until the engine starts running rough and making black smoke. Keep track of how far you turn this screw. Then open choke all the way and see if it smooths out. If it still smokes and runs rough with choke open, turn screw back in slowly to see if it will smooth out.
If this carb doesn't have an adjustable main jet and you feel you can, remove the float bowl and check for varnish or dirt in the bowl. clean the small holes in the nut that holds the bowl to carb with small wire like is on a shipping or parts tag. If this is more than you want to tackle, take the blower to an OPE repair shop.
Hope this helps,
Mike A

NY

02-09-05, 12:19 PM   #3  
Good advice from mla2ofus regarding the adjustment of the main jet. Bear in mind though, if you have to turn this out more than 2 turns from seated then you have restriction. While it may run well at an exagerated setting, the carb should be reconditioned. Rather than taking the whole unit to a servicer, I'd suggest taking just the carb, if you do not want to tackle it yourself that is.

WI

02-09-05, 05:46 PM   #4  
Thanks for the replies, guys!
I will try that this weekend to see if it helps. I have worked on some carbs before, so I'm not afraid to have a go at it.
Will post back with results.

WI

02-20-05, 05:37 PM   #5  

Thanks guys! I did exactly as suggested with the main jet, and it worked! I did clean the carb out last summer, and I must have accidently turned that screw a little.
That snowblower runs like new

NY

02-23-05, 07:33 AM   #6  
Your welcome and you know where to find us should you need us again.

Search this Thread