Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh carb problem

Visiting Guest

02-10-05, 04:19 PM   #1  
chopper698
Tecumseh carb problem

I have an old snowblower my neighbor gave me with a tecumseh engine on it.
I dont no what the horsepower is but it is an XL H50. The carbuerator is the bowl type. The problem with the carb is that gas is pouring out of this small tube at the face of the carb just to the left of the butterfly. I have taken the carb apart cleaned it all out and it still has this problem. I dont see anything wrong, the float doesnt seem to be hangin up or anything. Does anyone out there have any ideas. I am thinking that maybe the float needs to be adjusted by bending that tab a little bit.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-11-05, 12:04 AM   #2  
Hello Chopper! Welcome to DIY!

The carb is leaking because the needle is not sealing in the seat. This could be because of a bad float (won't float anymore), or a bad needle and seat, or trash in the seat area. I would take it apart, remove the old seat, clean the area where the seat goes and replace it. Shake the float. If you hear gas sloshing in it, then it's bad. If that's the case, you might not need to replace the seat.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

02-11-05, 06:28 AM   #3  
If you find everything O.K. in the carb, just for goofs, pull the primer line off the carb & turn the fuel on. This is the vent for the bowl. I don't know why, but I have seen some siphon fuel thru the main jet till it's vented . Put the line back after. Hope this helps. Good Luck!! (R)

NY

02-11-05, 07:40 AM   #4  
FYI...This must not be the original "snow" engine that is intended for winter work due to the fact you stated it had a "small tube to the left of the butterfly". I'll bet this engine has an air filter...It should not. No winter engine does on walk behind equipment. Which also means it likely does not have a carburetor cover (heater box). The point here is that the air filter will likely ice over and freeze causing a rich running condition. I suggest after each use, assuming there is in fact an air filter that is, that you remove the air filter and take it into your warm house and allow it to melt and drain off. This has nothing to do with your problem...follow cheese's advice, just an FYI.

02-11-05, 08:28 AM   #5  
tec engine

Its a 5 HP. It doesn't have a primer usually--just a manual choke.
S/T

Visiting Guest

02-11-05, 02:13 PM   #6  
chopper698
Thanks guys for the replys. First off I have taken the bowl off and I dont see any seat that the needle rests up against. Its just a tiny hole in the body. Should there be a rubber o ring of some sort there? And no fuel in the bowl so the bowl is good. This engine does have an air cleaner on it and was just told that it is in fact not the original engine. chopper

Non-US

02-11-05, 08:10 PM   #7  
Sorry Guys, I thought this was a snowblower engine. I'll try to look closer at the post next time.

NY

02-12-05, 06:33 AM   #8  
There should be a rubber seat in the small chamber in which the inlet needle goes. What I suggest is a rebuild with the proper kit (around ten bucks). Give me the exact engine ID#'s and I'll supply the part numbers for all the parts you will need. H50 is the model#, this will be followed by a five digit (and possibly a letter) spec#. What is this spec#? And again, follow my advice on the air filter between uses.

NY

02-15-05, 02:15 PM   #9  
How'd you make out chopper?

Visiting Guest

02-26-05, 01:07 PM   #10  
chopper698
Got the rebuild kit ckeaned it all up put it back together. I have it running but how many turns on the screw on the bottom of the bowl should I start with. And what is the screw with the spring on the side of the carb supposed to be turned at and what is it for.

NY

02-28-05, 10:26 AM   #11  
Start with the main needle (bottom) at 1-3/4 turns out from seated. The side needle is the idle fuel mixture screw...start this out at 1 turn out from seated. Each then, once the engine is at running temperature, may need to be turned in a hair. The idle screw has very little effect on anything above idle speed (typically 1200-1400 rpm). The main needle controls all else above idle rpm.

Search this Thread