Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCulloch chainsaw spark plug

02-17-05, 01:14 PM   #1  
McCulloch chainsaw spark plug

I have a McCulloch 3214 chainsaw. It is a 14" bar with a 32cc motor. Does anyone know what spark plug I need to use in it?

Sponsored Links

NY

02-17-05, 01:21 PM   #2  
Champion DJ7Y or equivalent.

02-17-05, 01:25 PM   #3  
puey61,
Thanks....That's why the sun never sets on you, you are cool.
Now I know that my problem is deeper.
LJ

NY

02-18-05, 03:09 AM   #4  
Explain, I have much experience with these. We had been a McCulloch dealer for years...before their bankruptcy, that is.

02-18-05, 06:40 AM   #5  
Puey61,
It doesn't want to start. I thought it was the coil but I checked it with an ohm meter and it shows continuity, it also reads voltage when I put the red probe from a volt meter in the spark plug boot, ground the black lead and pull the starter rope. However when I try to start it it wont start. I take the plug out and it is pretty wet with fuel. I can spray starting fluid in the carb and get it to start and run but doesn't want to idle and when I turn it off it will not start back unless I go thru the starting fluid deal again.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
LJ

NY

02-18-05, 02:14 PM   #6  
A continuity test on the coil alone will not tell you whether or not the coil is good. If there was a published ohms reading, this would tell you though. But since no service manual has these specs, a Briggs ignition tester, part# 19368, will. This ignition tester is simply a "spark plug" with an exagerated (.135") gap. If the ignition coil is strong enough, it will jump this gap. If not, replace the coil. You may well have two seperate issues however. The fact that it starts on starting fluid tends to indicate you have a carburetor problem. If so, and you also have a coil problem, you're looking at a costly repair...possibly not worth it. Find a Briggs dealer in your area and buy the tester to check the coil at least first then go from there.

02-18-05, 02:24 PM   #7  
Thanks puey61,
I think I gave something like 75 or 80 dollars for the saw so I am about frusted enough to buy a new one. Any suggestions on a brand? I use it maybe once or twice a year to cut small trees and limbs up. Usually nothing over 8-10".
LJ

NY

02-19-05, 09:03 AM   #8  
With the little amount you use it, obviously there is ne real need to spend alot of loot. Check out either Echo or Poulan. Craftsman, by the way, are made by Poulan. Do stay away from the new-style bar adjustment types whereas no tools are needed to tighten the chain as these are not a hot set-up in my opinion. Stick with the old fashioned style of loosening the bar nut(s) then turning the adjusting screw (which is next to and parallel with the bar) in order to get proper chain tension.

03-15-05, 07:23 AM   #9  
the ez adjust bars

I bought a marked down or discontinued poulan chainsaw with that new ez adjust bar. It was stuck and would not adjust. These ez adjust chainsaws do not come with the adjusting screws so I ordered one from jacks small engines to take care of that. I used my dremmel tool to grind out the pieces of steel I needed to remove on the bar so it would work with the new adjusting screw. Now it works fine. I to like the screw adjusting bar. dave

03-16-05, 07:54 PM   #10  
the problem you mention of only starting using starter fluid (which is bad by the way..lol..wayyy too dry) makes me think of rings..pull the muffler real quicklike and look at the face of the piston..make sure it is not scarred up and the rings stuck.

it has been awhile since I have been over to this forum..almost forgot about it!

Good luck with your saw

Visiting Guest

03-23-05, 02:18 PM   #11  
manofSTIHL
I had one of those saws. Got it at a garage sale. It was brand new, and it only cost $10. I figured what the heck. I got it. It ran nice, but it had such limited power. Stupid thing kept stalling. So I cut a little out of the muffler with a dremel. Had more power. But, I shortly burned out the clutch after that. I had only cut about 1/2 cord of wood with it. I will never use that saw again. I spent most of my time fixing it, and not cutting wood. And it had a weird tesioner problem. But, all in all, it was a cheap saw with a cheap engine, and I am not shocked to hear of someone else with problems with one. Now I have a STIHL. Older, but great. Cuts wood fast. Before I had it, the previous owner cut about 12 cords of wood with it per year. Then he got an 034. This saw is an 10 AV. Little, but has a lot of power and goes a long time on a tank. And, I have not had one problem with it yet, besides a loose screw getting caught in the chain and damaging the oiler, but I fixed it quickly and easily. But, I think it will cut a bit of wood and trim trees for me for years to come. It definately is not the Wal Mart homeowner saw. Although, in the next year or so I might get my hands on an 031AV.

Visiting Guest

03-23-05, 02:22 PM   #12  
manofSTIHL
Posted By: Little-Jackie Thanks puey61,
I think I gave something like 75 or 80 dollars for the saw so I am about frusted enough to buy a new one. Any suggestions on a brand? I use it maybe once or twice a year to cut small trees and limbs up. Usually nothing over 8-10".
LJ
STIHL!!!!!!

03-24-05, 01:16 PM   #13  
I bought a 14" Poulan 1950LE from Lowes for 99 bucks and it has worked good so far. I would have bought the Stihl but no more than I use it I couldn't justify the cost difference to my wife. I have cut down and up 8 sweet gum trees that are from 4" to about 12" and it has done the job. The chain got dull on the stumps in a hurry and I tried to put a new one I had for the McCullogh but found out in a hurry that all 14" chains are not created equal. If I had know that to began with I would have bought the 16" one.
I sold the old McCullogh at a yard sale for $10, you don't by chance live in Alabama do you ManofSTIHL?

Search this Thread