Chainsaw recomendation

Old 02-21-05, 06:47 AM
Chainsaw recomendation

I am in need of a chainsaw. Will be used around the house, biggest tree might be 12" dia. Want it to be gas powered. I don't need anything real powerful or large. What do you recommend? Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-05, 07:10 AM
You made no mention of price you are willing to pay nor how much use it will see, so...Look for a saw in the 40cc range with a 16 or 18 inch bar. Price will reflect where and what you buy. Post back with use intended and price range.

Old 02-21-05, 11:37 AM
Puey61,
Maybe 2-3 times a year. Nothing commercial, just trimming tree around my house. Remove a couple this year. What should I spend on a quaility name? What is a quaility saw for say $200-250? Which brands should I stay away from? Thanks.

scheu

Old 02-21-05, 02:49 PM
I suggest checking out Poulan or Echo equipment for your budget. Craftsman, by the way, are Poulan's. If you don't mind spending a bit more, check out Stihl or Husqvarna. The key is to buy a unit that you can find parts and/or service for years to come. The above brands fit this criteria.

Old 02-22-05, 07:40 PM
I have a Poulan wood shark with either a 14" or 16" bar, I forget. It has been a very decent saw for work in my 2 acre yard. One minor problem was that I left gas/oil mix in the tank for about a year (stupid, I know), and the gas cap swelled, requiring me to remove the cap with a crescent wrench. I bought a new cap which seems to be a different type of plastic, so maybe they had seen this problem before.
Bottom line--Poulan= good cheap saw, IMHO.

Old 02-23-05, 06:09 AM
I think a good quality electric saw would suit your purposes very well. No worries of the carb varnishing up between uses, no fuel to store, instant on with no pulling. The only drawback I see is the extension cord, but for 2 or 3 times a year, I'd seriously look at the Stihl electric. It's a good saw and capable of the cutting you describe.

Old 02-24-05, 10:54 AM
scan
Visiting Guest
go husky

i've had a husqvarna for better than 10 years and its been aewsome

i'll admit to being less than diligent about maint on it, too.

dependable and powerful

Old 02-28-05, 05:24 AM
hl80
Visiting Guest
If you go electric, make sure your extension cord carries the amps required by your chainsaw.

Old 03-01-05, 06:38 AM
16 in bar

id go with a 16 in bar, thats what i have and it gets the job done fine. weight is also a consideration as after you use it for a while your arms get tired

Old 03-11-05, 07:20 AM
Be careful when recomending name brand products, or especially "bad mouthing" them, as some moderators around here are very touchy about that , and will try to make you out as a "griper". No Chevy VS Ford arguments around here, sorry to say! RH