Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas in the crankcase?

02-21-05, 06:52 PM   #1  
Gas in the crankcase?

My old Troy bilt tiller has a 8 HP Tecumseh motor that is somehow getting gas into the crankcase. When I started it gas was actually pumping out the oil line that comes from the crankcase. It ran for a few seconds then shut off. Does this mean that the motor is bad? how is the gas getting into crank? any info would be appreciated. RH

Sponsored Links

Non-US

02-21-05, 08:25 PM   #2  
Roadhawg, you said "old tiller", so I suspect you probably have a float leaking &/or garbage in the needle seat assy. Take the carb apart & shake the float & listen for sloshing in it.If you hear anything inside, you need a new one. Replace the needle & seat & wash the fuel tank out & you'll be O.K. Clean out all the rest of the carb while you're in it & it'll run like new!!

NY

02-22-05, 02:47 PM   #3  
I'll second that...either the float or varnish in the inlet needle and seat area. Either way, do a recon on the carb and you'll be on your way. Be absolutely sure to change the oil. Any gas in the sump can cause trouble. The reason that gas got into the crankcase is that the carb is not an updraft-type carb. In other words the carb is mounted at the same height as the intake port. Any fuel leakage within the bowl chamber will find it's way to the crankcase.

02-22-05, 06:22 PM   #4  
Thanks for the info, I guess ya gotta clean and rebuild the carb once a year? Also, this Tiller spends a lot of time just sitting around the shed, as I only use it a few times a year.

NY

02-23-05, 07:26 AM   #5  
Guidelines for storage of gasoline powered equipment: Summer month's storage; Keep the fuel tank full (this reduces the likelyhood of condensation accumulation), add 1/2 ounce of quality fuel stabilizer for each gallon of gas, run engine for 10-15 minutes, shut of fuel valve (if equipped, and if not, install one), at least once monthly - pull out of storage area and run for 10 minutes at 1/2 throttle. Winter month's storage; Follow the summer storage procedure with the exception of running monthly (unless you live in a warm/hot climate). While I can't guarantee trouble free operation, this greatly reduces the chance for varnish build-up - which is the #1 villan on gasoline powered equipment.

Search this Thread