Snow thrower can't stay running

Old 02-25-05, 06:52 AM
carothe2003
Visiting Guest
Question Snow thrower can't stay running

I have owned a two-stage Craftsman Snow Thrower model 247.887000 for a little over a year. (Engine model 143.045003). Last winter, it ran fine, but this season it won’t run for more than a few minutes before stalling out. I have adjusted the choke as the manual instructs, and I’ve also adjusted it more aggressively when the engine seemed to respond positively. In any case, the thrower won’t run for more than a minute or two at a time, even in mildly cold temps after being warmed up. I live in southeast PA, and it has been in the upper 20’s low 30’s.

I did not do a very good job of prepping the snow thrower before storage at the end of last winter, as I left a half tank of gas in it and did not perform the steps in the manual. Just before this winter, I replaced the auger belt, changed the oil, lubed a few joints, and replaced the gas with fresh. I did not replace the spark plug.

In total, the snow thrower has about 20 hours of use, if that. The guy at my local Sears said it sounds like it is a matter of “choke management”, but the choke did not need much attention last season. He also discounted the idea that maybe I need a new spark plug.

If anyone has any ideas, I would much appreciate them. I regret leaving a half tank of gas in there over the summer, but after draining the tank I saw/smelled no sign if varnish. I did not clean any internals, as I am not that experienced with that sort of thing.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 09:26 AM
The fact that you say it runs 2-3 minutes THEN stalls out would indicate a possible problem with the fuel cap venting. You didn't mention what engine you have or more specifically the ID #'s that go along with it, but I'll assume you have a Tecumseh and a possible problem is that the guts to the fuel cap dislodged. With such case, your cap will no longer vent causing it to stall - at varied times dependent upon how much fuel you have in the tank. Now, you stated you have taken no precautionary steps when stored last year. My guess is that you have a restriction in the carburetor. It may be as simple as cleaning out the fixed-jet holes with a fine, fine wire OR you may have to do a complete carb reconditioning, depending on the condition of the bowl area of the carb. Check the fuel cap first and post back. You should see an aluminum deflector and behind it will be a rubber gasket with notches (looking similar to a chain sprocket). Let us know.