Snow thrower wont stay in gear

Old 02-27-05, 12:40 PM
Micster
Visiting Guest
Snow thrower wont stay in gear

I have a 5hp MTD 22 inch snow blower. Was using it the other day and notice the shifter will not stay in gear. I took the cover off and everything looks okay as far as I can tell. All speeds work it just wont stay in one. Is there a spring or something that fell off????

I can not locate my serial number but did find my owners guide that came with it. It's saying it's for model's Series 611,641 and 661. I looked on the blower and it appears the sticker that had the model and serial number has worn off.

HELP!! I live in PA and they are calling for a northeastern storm tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 06:21 AM
snow blower won't stay in gear

I am assaming this is a two stage blower. Either your friction disk is worn out
or it has enough wear that it is out of adjustment. Look in your manual for the procedure to adjust the shift linkage and the procedure to adjust the drive control lever.
Marc

Old 02-28-05, 07:09 AM
You made no mention of the age of the unit but within the last dozen or so years the shift lever itself will have a spring associated with it. One of two types are used depending on the location of the shifter. If yours moves front to back (dash-type control) there will be a weld stud that the pivot of the shifter mounts over where there should be a compression spring and locknut. This spring may be broken or may just need to be adjusted by way of tightening up the nut thereby increasing the spring pressure on the shifter. The other type shifter will be a left to right-motion, mounted down near your knees. There is a spring steel type spring whereas the upper shift lever is attached to the input shaft (of the drive disc) by way of this "spring". There is no adjustment to this type but rather would require you to replace the spring.

Old 02-28-05, 09:37 AM
Micster
Visiting Guest
Show thrower wont stay in gear

Puey61, This is the type I have.

The other type shifter will be a left to right-motion, mounted down near your knees. There is a spring steel type spring whereas the upper shift lever is attached to the input shaft (of the drive disc) by way of this "spring". There is no adjustment to this type but rather would require you to replace the spring.

Is the spring on the shaft on the outside where the shifter handle attaches? Or is it inside the transmission cover. Sorry to sound so naive but I have no clue where it was once attached. This is definitly what is wrong.

Edit to include: Unit is around 10 yrs old

Last edited by Micster; 02-28-05 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Age of unit
Old 02-28-05, 09:58 AM
It is outside the frame. Look where the shifter make a 90 degree bend. This bend IS the spring. Since you have the manual, it should have the part number you need. Look this up, post back with such and I'll confirm if you're in the right neighborhood.

Old 02-28-05, 10:34 AM
Micster
Visiting Guest
Snow blower wont say in gear

In my owners guide it states there is a shift level spring but doesnt give a part number for this only the nuts and bolts. But at least I know where it's located.

There is a bolt with a hut on that I tighened. It did make the handle stiffer but the vibration of the motor makes it jump right out of gear. Does the spring slip down over this 90 degree rod? I cant see a spring attached as in hooking to something or even one that would be under the handle....but with your help I should be able to get a replacement.

One other question. Since my model and serial number sicker is worn off is there any other place this may be stamped?? All I have is the owners guide that says it's for model 611, 641 and 661. Is that enough to order the parts?

Thanks for your help! You have been a life saver

Old 02-28-05, 11:29 AM
You won't find the ID #'s stamped anywhere. As for the model #'s given, this is a general identification. The manual covers these three models. these numbers do not, however, indicate the year of production nor more importantly the exact model you have. Get me the engine model, spec and serial numbers (found on the blower shroud) and this will help me narrow down the search for what you need. In the mean time look at the parts list for the corresponding page of the break-down in the manual and see if you show a part #732-0733 with a description of "Spring, Shift Lever". This should be what you need. It is attached to the shift lever (upper end) with two bolts & nuts and to the shift rod (lower end) by way of a single bolt & nut.

Old 02-28-05, 12:27 PM
Micster
Visiting Guest
snow blower wont stay in gear

The corresponding page is called a contents of Hardware pack which does not list the spring at all. On figure 7 is where they list the shift lever spring without any reference to the Hardware Pack. It only shows the nuts and bolts. Nowhere does it show that number. This chart seems to be for general installation. I bought the snow blower in 1996.

The serial number to the engine is HSSK5067360N. (SNOWKING) It's a 5hp tecumseh with electric start. Blowing path is 22" which should make it Model 641. (???)

Last edited by Micster; 02-28-05 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-05, 12:51 PM
Being a 5 horse, it IS a model 611. You provided the engine model and spec but not the serial (may be referred to on yours (if it's new enough) as the DOM, or, Date Of Manufacture). This serial (DOM) will tell me the year of the engine, again, narrowing the search down. In your manual, do you see an exploded view of the area of concern, referencing each individual part available for that section? If so, the immediate following page should contain the part number to go along with the corresponding reference numbers of the break-down! Lets work with the engine serial (DOM) though still.

Old 02-28-05, 01:19 PM
Micster
Visiting Guest

Today must be my lucky day. I just found an old receipt that had the model and serial number on for the blower. This is great!

Model number: 315E611D352
Serial Number: 1B155B20214

The figure that shows the shifter lever spring doesnt reference a part number on the corresponding page. Only the nuts and bolts. I know that is odd......but it isnt listed anywhere.......but I can tell you the nuts and bolts part number.

Old 02-28-05, 02:38 PM
My MTD computer program doesn't show the model number as you have provided but every similar machine I've looked at shows the part # as the aforementioned 732-0733. In your manual, it should be reference #29.

Old 02-28-05, 03:39 PM
Micster
Visiting Guest

Puey61,

Thank you for all your help! You have been such a BIG help. I will use this part number when ordering. I go to a place here in Pa that deals with MTD parts. Just knowing now what I am dealing with and where it's at was most of the problem.

I may have one or so of the numbers wrong in the model number. It was hand written and very hard to read. I talked with a friend who told me my blower was made in 1995. ( He thought)

The snow is flying now with 5 inches down. Another 5 inches are to fall overnight. I think I will use a bungee to hold the handle in place until I can get to the shop to get the part.

Thanks again for all your support! This site is great!

Last edited by Micster; 02-28-05 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-05, 02:29 PM
My pleasure for the help. The bungee sounds like a good temporary idea. I too believe your machine is a '95 model year, by the way. We've gotten about 12" of new stuff from this Noreaster, albeit fluffy...yeeha! I love winter. The more the better, my scooter and throttle thumb are yearning for more, heavier stuff. Take care.

Search this Thread