Hydrostatic transmission

Old 03-01-05, 05:45 AM
Hydrostatic transmission

Could someone help me out with checking the oil level in a hydrostatic transmission on a Kubota T1400H riding lawnmower? I have just got through rebuilding the engine, (I have a small engine repair shop - business) and due to the rough shape it was in, I feel the need the check the oil level in the hydro-trans. I've got a repair manuel on the tractor that's pretty detailed but it dosen't cover how to check the tranny's fluid level. According to the manuel the hydro-trans holds 0.6 quart of 10W30 oil. Also, where is the drain for the hydro-trans?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-05, 09:08 AM
I am not familiar with Kubota's, so...What make and model hydro unit does it have?

Old 03-01-05, 07:01 PM
Hydrostatic transmission

I just found out in a Kubota forum at http://www.ssbtractor.com/wwwboard/Kubota_tractors.html , that the hydro transmission is a sealed unit and the oil is only replaced whenever the transmission is taken apart for service. I was about to remove the entire rear fender. I really appreciate your trying to help though, puey61.

Old 03-01-05, 11:33 PM
hydros

hi

just a note--most hydros are never serviced or checked. Manufacturers recommend that you never even open the vent plug. One hair will make it stop moving. Some hydros come with screw on filters and I have witnessed the results of changing it--not good.

S/T

Old 03-02-05, 05:57 AM
I've never heard of a hydro only taking .6 quarts of fluid. Are you sure it isn't 6 quarts? The hydros in my old Deeres take over 5 quarts (I realize it's a different brand made in a different decade, but .6 quarts sure doesn't sound right)

Old 03-02-05, 08:19 AM
Hydrostatic transmission

According to the service manuel the hydrostatic transmission part holds 0.6 quart of 10W30 oil. The transmission and differiential part holds 1.9 quarts 90 wt. gear oil (which I've replaced). This is a riding lawnmower with a 40" deck. A person in another forum (Kubota forum) said, that this hydro trans is a sealed unit. The only time the oil needs to be changed, is when the case is opened for repairs. I think that the way to get to it, is to take off the entire rear fender.

Old 03-16-05, 04:16 PM
Just for reference, my Sears mower also indicates it is a sealed unit and to never ever open it.