Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere 160 Valve job

Visiting Guest

03-01-05, 09:40 PM   #1  
Azis
John Deere 160 Valve job

I have one with a 14hp Kaw that needs a valve job. The JD manual I have for the tractor series, refers you to manual ctm-5 Carb/Tech manual. I don't have nor do I have the 100 bills they are asking.
I have not done one on John deere, and it looks to be simple enuff. I was just wandering if ne one knew of any little catches to beware of, and what sort of clearances I will need.

TIA
Az

Sponsored Links

03-01-05, 11:29 PM   #2  
Kaw

wasaki? I guess? I'm unfamiliar with the Deere family except for steak and eggs. However, I can pretty well say with confidence that if you give it .005 " clearance you will be fine and nothing will be damaged. That is assuming the motor does not have hydraulic lifters.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-02-05, 12:32 AM   #3  
Well, I went looking for my Kawasaki manual, but I can't find it. Might be out in the shop. Anyway...no catches or funny stuff to worry about. Easy job, and my best guess would be like supertech said, probably around .004" or .005" on the intake valve, and somewhere around .005" to .007" on the exhaust. If I find the manual and see anything different, I'll post the specs. A good rule of thumb is around .005" for both valves on most any engine with solid lifters. Some old Kohlers don't follow this rule, as some clearances are over .010" on them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-02-05, 07:33 AM   #4  
Azis
Thx for the replys
I really hate getting 3/4 done and find out I need one special tool or this needed to be right there b4 I take this out......yada yada specially when it aint my stuff.

Cheese is your manual the ctm-5? I checked Ebay and some other web searches but have had little luck finding one other than from JD.
NE help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Az

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-02-05, 11:27 PM   #5  
You know, I looked for it last night, and got to thinking it was on CD rom. I still don't know where it is. It's been quite a while since I used a manual for kawasaki info. If I still have it, I don't know where it is. I can't even remember for sure if I have it in paper, CD, or maybe both???? Now that I think about it, the paper might have been info I printed on my PC. Anyway, no luck yet.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-03-05, 08:33 AM   #6  
Azis
Heheh well at least you got manuals to loose. I have the tractor manual 1351 on CDRom, which covers series 130-185, that is until you get to the engine. The only ones I have found online were paper and the one John Deere has is also paper.
I am not a big fan of the Acrobat reader, but the information is there if you can find it
I hope to attack it today soon as my spring compresor comes in.

Thx fer ya time

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-03-05, 09:50 AM   #7  
Spring compressor? Yeah, I got one now, but I remember using two wide flathead screwdrivers to do those valve keepers, lol. The compressor makes the job a lot easier for sure.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-03-05, 06:47 PM   #8  
Azis
Well I have passed up doing a few do to not having one or a manual. Anyway for 25 bucks this thing is slick, and worked awesome once the operator figured it out.
The intake valve was a bit sticky gettin out. Had to work it a bit and actually used the compresor as a puller, nice and smooth. The guide just had some carbon n rust on it I brushed out and smoothed out the stem.
I wound up at .007 intake and .009 exhaust or there bouts. I asked the guy if he could tell me the spec when I went to get the head gasket, and he said uh NO I cant. I asked if a mechanic could possibly answer it, he stepped into a close cube had a short 20 sec conversation or somin, and said 6 and 8. geesh it was like pullin teeth, but I think I will be ok. Find out tommora.

Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 06:52 AM   #9  
Azis
Put her all back n she fired right up. Fella said it aint started that easy in the 20+ years he has owned it

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-06-05, 01:34 AM   #10  
Good job! It's nice when the customer says something like that!

God bless!

Search this Thread