Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

shear pins

Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 06:12 AM   #1  
knee deep
shear pins

hello , i'm new here, read alot of info here though , great site.
I went to local repair shop for some shear pins for my mastercraft 8hp snowblower, they were out, but said i could use grade 2 bolts and they'd be fine .
Is this true?
thanks ahead of time. rick

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 06:46 AM   #2  
Azis
Hi ya Knee deep,
Grade 2 bolt is low carbon steel and not tempered and I am sure would work, however it is not designed or rated for a "shear load".
I did a quick search and found this advice from puey in another thread on the subject.
Posted By: puey61 You may want to reconsider using non-original shear bolts. They have a specific job to do. Yes, they may shear easily. Better for this to happen than to use a "stronger" bolt and have the gearbox disintigrate. The hole being larger on one side of the auger than on the other is by design. The correct shear bolt has a shoulder which fits into this larger diameter hole. Also, never crank the nut completely tight. The nut on a correct shear bolt will be a locknut. Again, for a reason. Tighten the nut up snug then back it off a half turn. This allows play and therby alllows the shear bolt to do its job properly...shear!!!
GL

Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 05:36 AM   #3  
knee deep
thanks Azis for info,
I suspected as much, guess ill keep lookin for the proper pins
thanks again, rick

NY

03-07-05, 12:06 PM   #4  
Hello Rick, Rick here. Proper shear bolts are highly recommended as they have relief cuts in them to enable such to effectively shear. I would not use a grade 2 bolt unless it is in an emergency situation. And then stay away from ice and/or hardpack. A gearbox rebuild is quite costly. I believe Mastercraft is an MTD product, check with your local MTD service dealer for replacement shear bolts. Do you have the model # of the chassis handy? I can confirm whether this is an MTD product or not.

Visiting Guest

03-07-05, 06:26 PM   #5  
knee deep
thanks puey61,
i have located some shear bolts today, this is an mtd
it was used when i picked it up , so i got ahold of mtd a while back, they emailed a manual for me,
thanks again rick.

NY

03-08-05, 03:10 AM   #6  
Any time. You know where to find us should you need anything again.

Search this Thread