Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 26" snowblower

Visiting Guest

03-05-05, 05:03 PM   #1  
Snowed
Craftsman 26" snowblower

I have a Craftsman 26" snowblower that is about two years old. I was moving 14 inches of snow and luckly just as I was finishing up the driveway the gears stopped working. I looked at the housing and it looks complicated to get inside to see where the drive belts are. Is this a difficult job? It looks to be in the 3 to 4 wrench catagory and I am about a one wrench guy but willing to give it a try. Any thoughts?
Snowed

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 07:47 AM   #2  
Azis
Sorry I don't see many snowblowers, however being a craftsman, if you can locate your model #, prolly on the rear like a shroud or fender will be a placard. Use that at this site http://www3.sears.com/
You can find illustrated parts diagrams as well as purchase replacement parts.

GL
Az

NY

03-07-05, 12:01 PM   #3  
When you say the "gears" stopped working, do you mean the wheel drive? Or the auger gearbox? When you post back with the answers, also have the chassis ID #'s. And if you should need engine related repairs/questions we'll need engine ID #'s. We'll go on once we have more info.

Visiting Guest

03-08-05, 07:05 PM   #4  
Snowed
Thanks

Thanks guys. It was a pin in the drive shaft and one of the kids in our high school replaced it for me. Just in time too, we are getting a wicked blizzard in Southern New England right now. Thanks

NY

03-09-05, 08:28 AM   #5  
You didn't mention a model number but...it is likely a Murray product and based on my experience with these, your problem of shearing the drive axle bolt is common. These are 1/4" bolts and I suggest drilling out to 5/16" thereby reducing the likelyhood of shearing such anymore. We have done just this on numerous like throwers and not one has come back to our shop.

Search this Thread