Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

J/d 826

Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 01:30 AM   #1  
Blkbird
J/d 826

I just bought a used J/D and there are 2 things that need adjusting or replacing.Perhaps someone can help with some advice in the right direction.
1. reverse seems to slip as it is really not pulling very hard,I almost have to help it.All the fwd gears pull very well. Is there an adjustment I could do or a possible used part I should be looking at.
2. the 2 safety handles do not work, not that it's a big deal, but I would be much more comfortable with my younger brother handling it if those kill switches would work. Are these prone to break down or should I be looking for a possible cut wire.
Thanx in advance for all the assistance

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 07:51 AM   #2  
Azis
Is it a snowblower? Don't see ne of em but you can find some parts illustrations here.
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt

Use a model search.

GL

NY

03-07-05, 11:57 AM   #3  
It is very common for older (and genuine) Deere's for reverse to slip. You may or may not be able to adjust the clutch satisfactorily. The problem is that the pivot point for the disc cage assembly IS the frame. Look carefully in the drive area and you'll see where I mean. There are two small "pins" that go through the frame and it is at this point where you'll find wear and usually not with the cage but within the frame itself. You'd have to replace the frame to rectify the situation. My only suggestion, if this is the case (and it is not simply a drive disc worn badly), is to adjust the clutch linkage. It runs from the clutch handle (left side) down to the cage assembly. You'll see an adjusting nut. Bad news is that this is likely froze (rusted/corroded) and you'll likely have to replace each rod as well as the adjuster. You want the disc to begin to engage at about 1/3 of the clutch levers' throw. Lift the wheels off the ground, rock the drive disc by hand, back and forth, have a second person slowly engage the clutch lever. Movement of the disc should cease when the lever is one-third the way down it's total travel. This will be proper adjustment. As far as the safety handles go, there'll be a defective safety switch (it mounts just below and slightly to the right of the carburetor) you'll need to replace. This is another common problem area on older Deere's. If yours has been previously removed completely, consult your local Deere dealer for a schematic for proper hook-ups of the wiring.

Visiting Guest

03-07-05, 03:06 PM   #4  
Blkbird
Thanx Puey!
Much appreciated........now for the dirty work......I guess I'll to check this out and hopefully I can correct it

NY

03-08-05, 03:19 AM   #5  
Something we have done in my shop is to weld a perfect ID washer (matching the OD of the "pins" of the cage assembly) to the frame (where the frame acts as a bushing for the disc cage assembly) thereby tightening up the hole. Placement of the welded washer is critical so that the pivot point is at a point closest to the aluminum drive plate (this is what the rubber disc contacts for motion) based on the movement of the cage assembly. Whew, did ya get all that? Good luck and let us know.

Visiting Guest

03-10-05, 09:02 AM   #6  
Blkbird
I'm not quite sure exactly where on the cage I should be looking; where exactly these pins may be .....I think what I will do is look for looseness on anything friction disc associated I figure this way I am bound to have a better picture of what you mean
I hope you'll still be open to answer anymore of my questions

Search this Thread