Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

how to ship?

FL

03-06-05, 06:21 AM   #1  
how to ship?

This may not sound like an "on topic" post, but is.

I need to have a 27cu ft crated , 200lb object shipped from one zip code to another.

Who are some companies that can do this for me?

I'm talking here about shipping a relacement engine for my garden tractor

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-06-05, 08:00 AM   #2  
Azis
Hmmm good one, maybe check with your local "Letterbox" type servides? I cant think of names now, but they package smaller items perhaps they would have some advice if not do it themselves.

GL

Group Moderator

NC

03-07-05, 06:33 PM   #3  
Shipping the box/crate is pretty easy. Look in the phone book or do a search online for LTL carriers or trucking companies (Yellow, Roadway, Old Dominion, Southeastern, R & L, FedEx...). Shipping from one commercial address to another commercial address will be the most economical. Many carriers have pretty steep fees for pulling up in front of a residential address. If you do not have an existing account with a freight company (with a pre-determined discount rate) get ready to pay a lot for shipping. LTL discount rates normally start at 60% and go up into the mid 70's. So, if they quote you $1'000 shipping, a business with an account would only pay $250-$400.

You did not mention where your box is located and where it needs to be delivered. Many regional carriers offer better rates than the larger nation wide carriers if both your addresses are within the carriers home territory. Some carriers (such as R & L) specialize a bit more in delivering to residential addresses and have lift gates on their trucks to handle heavy packages if you don't have forklift.

Search this Thread