Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electric Cement Mixers Yeah or Neah?

Visiting Guest

03-09-05, 05:21 PM   #1  
Mangi
Electric Cement Mixers Yeah or Neah?

I am in the process of leveling my basement floor prior to a renovation. I have seen 200-300 electric cement mixers and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them and if they are worth the investment. I plan on mixing 2-3 yards of cement over a few weeks and will probably just buy the premixed bags for convenience. The intrigue is obviously the low cost and that bec. it's electric I can run it in the basement and not worry about fumes. I'm also assuming that they aren't too noisy.
Does anyone have advise on these? Can they really mix with such a small motor?
THanks,
John

Sponsored Links

Non-US

03-09-05, 08:18 PM   #2  
The Electric mixers work well for small jobs.An electric motor puts out max torque @ stall so it should have adequite power. If you're only going to mix 2 or 3 yard & not any other projects, look into a rental unit. Remember that is still a lot of concrete & it maybe cheaper to have it Redi-Mixed & delivered than buying bags. Look into that 1st. Remember your time is worth something, too (R)

NY

03-10-05, 11:56 AM   #3  
You should also post this in the concrete forum as i'm sure there are qualified moderators to help you in your decision.

Visiting Guest

03-11-05, 05:36 PM   #4  
Mangi
Thanks for the input. The problem with renting is I would have to do all the work at the same time. I have a basement floor which I need to level before renovating for a family room. I thought if I purchased a cheap electric unit, I could mix a few bags at my leisure and float the area. I also thought that bec. it's electric I can use it in my garage bec. no fumes and I'm assuming it's relatively quiet.
john

Non-US

03-11-05, 07:07 PM   #5  
I'm not to much on concrete work, but maybe check into doing small spaces one at a time. For some reason I'm thinking that small patches done at different times will leave you with cracks as the concrete cures ,it'll shrink at different rates. Check with a pro about this, because you don't want to handle concrete 2 or 3 times

Search this Thread