Craftsman Pressure Washer: Model 580.751651: Won’t Start

Old 03-10-05, 06:29 PM
skydivejim
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Pressure Washer: Model 580.751651: Won’t Start

I took the engine apart and installed new gaskets. I made sure the dots on crank and cam lined up. Installed new push rods, valves, and valve springs.
I put the engine back together and I am getting spark. Gas appears to be getting a least to the carburetor bowl.

Engine still won’t start.

It has a Generac engine; 6.5 HP.

Is there something I’m not checking or missed?
Do these engines have a breaker points and condenser? I could not find it. The wire from the spark plug travels into a solid black box that the Craftsman homepage says is called a “LOS MODULE” I never heard of this.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-05, 07:02 PM
Generac

Jim
The 6.5 should be a Briggs and Stratton. Generac makes the generator part. Did you check valve clearance? Is there any compression? (Spark plug wet?) If the plug isn't wet and it won't start--no gas. Can you squirt some in the carb throat and then try?

S/T

Old 03-10-05, 07:07 PM
oops

I meant generac makes the pump. If the valves are too tight you wont get fuel to the cylinder. So we have to establish compression first.

Old 03-10-05, 07:21 PM
skydivejim
Visiting Guest
Valves too tight??

I stuck my finger in the spark plug hole and turned the crank by hand; I felt no pressure.
Original, I bent one push rod because I tightened the rocker arm too much which resulted in bending when I turned the crank with difficulty. When I replaced it, I tightened the rocker arm bolt until it was snug and the engine still turned with ease.
I don’t know if there are torque specs for this. Also, by watching, I can see the valves opening and closing when I turn the crank, but yet, I didn’t feel compression.

Perhaps I should loosen the rocker arm bolts?

Jim

Old 03-11-05, 12:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, they are too tight. You can't just tighten them, you need to adjust them. Do you have feeler guages?

Old 03-11-05, 12:48 AM
skydivejim
Visiting Guest
Feeler Gauge?

Yes, I have a feeler gauge I use on my car for a spark plug or points gap. How would I use this on a small engine?

I'm getting valueable help here, thank you.

Jim

Old 03-11-05, 01:05 PM
Because this, and most small engines, has a compression release camshaft, it is important to position the piston properly in its cycle so you get an acurate clearance at each valve. Remove the spark plug, remove the rocker cover, watch, carefully, the cycles of the piston...you need to get it at 1/4" past top dead center of the compression stroke. To find this stroke, turn the engine over, clockwise, by hand... the exhaust valve will open immediately followed by the intake valve, now watch the piston movement once the intake valve closes as it will move slightly more down the cylinder. When the piston makes its way back up the cylinder, this is the compression stroke. Bring it up to top dead center and then 1/4", plus or minus, past top dead (you are now on the power stroke). It is at this point that you want to adjust both valve clearances. You haven't supplied any engine ID #'s but...the valves should be set at .006", provided this is a 12C.I. overhead valve Briggs.

Old 03-11-05, 06:42 PM
skydivejim
Visiting Guest
Making Great Progress

Hello All

Early, before I read the last post, I adjusted the rocker arms as previously suggested. I just went by feel, and sure enough, I got the engine to start momentarily. It will only run for 3 seconds at best, but this is a good start. THANK YOU Cheese.

PUEY61; I read your post, and by making this fine adjustment, perhaps tomorrow I can make it run continuous. However, if it is stalling after 3 or so seconds, could this be a carburetor problem?

The info I have on this Power Washer is Craftsman model 580.751651. I believe the engine is a Generac (says so on the air intake cover) with a HP of 6.5.

Suggestions are greatly valued.

Jim

Old 03-12-05, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Before moving to any other source of problems, we need to eliminate the valve adjustments. Adjusting by feel may still not be correct. The feeler guages needed would be flat thin pieces of metal stamped with the thickness. They are cheap, and available at most auto parts stores. Do adjust it right, you'll need them.

Old 03-15-05, 05:53 PM
skydivejim
Visiting Guest
Finally got the valves properly adjusted today....WOW, starts right up.
Thanks to all for the great help.

Jim

Old 03-16-05, 01:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help!

Old 03-16-05, 02:42 PM
Good news and good job!!!