Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Mower - Starts appears to start...

Visiting Guest

03-11-05, 06:34 PM   #1  
Kelbob929
Craftsman Mower - appears to start...

then dies after no more than 2 seconds. I have the 6 hp Craftsman mulch/rearbag mower about 6 years old. I have changed the air filter, put in a new spark plug, and removed the air filter assembly to check the fuel line and it appears to be flowing unimpeded. I removed the clamp connected to the carb and the entire tank drained. I did notice that the gasket between the carb and the air filter housing had torn in two - but it was pieced back together. Could that cause the issue? I can't imagine that would cause the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Kelbob929; 03-11-05 at 07:30 PM.

Sponsored Links

AL

03-11-05, 09:44 PM   #2  
Craftsman Mower-Starts Appears to Start

You have a very common problem.You left fuel in your mower over the winter an it got old and varnished up the carb.take the bowl off the carburetor via one 1/2"nut.Look very close at the nut an you'll find a intsy-bitty hole inbetween the thrads about haly way up the nut,run a wire through this hole and clean it out.Run the wire down the top of nut too,to clean out down to hole.(I use a torch head cleaner)Clean any an all vannish from inside bowl spay a good quilty carb&choke cleaner up emersion tubes(center of carb)Run wire up same.Change fuel and you'll be cutting before u know it.

Visiting Guest

03-12-05, 07:28 AM   #3  
Kelbob929
Thanks...

Thanks, I will try it.

NY

03-13-05, 08:14 AM   #4  
Then let us know how it worked!

Search this Thread