troy-bilt 5500 generator 10hp engine problem

Old 03-11-05, 07:24 PM
troy-bilt 5500 generator 10hp engine problem

I bought a "as-is" troy-bilt 5500 watt generator with 10hp B&S OHV engine from a local hardware store dirt cheap. It's probably not a year old. It had threw an intake rod but didn't see any damage. I bought the B&S repair manual and installed 2 new pushrods, cleaned the carbon off of the piston with a plastic scraper, installed a head gasket, torqued the bolts to specifination, adjusted the valves, changed oil. The engine starts on first or second pull. The engine runs perfect with out the paper airfilter. When I install the airfilter the engne runs rich with just a very slight touch of black smoke. When I take the airfilter off the engine runs great. I rebuilt the carburetor as it has no adjustments because it has fixed jets. The generator works fine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have the model #'s but not right now. Thanks in advance Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-05, 12:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you need to replace the filter. Pleated paper filters can restrict airflow if they got wet some time in the past. Even when they dry out, they just don't allow air to move as freely. That may be the case here.

Old 03-15-05, 07:00 AM
paper air filter

Yes it does have a paper air filter. I replaced it with a new one. The plastic cover for the air filter has small openings also. This uses the square type paper air filters. How can I change to a different filter. I've seen the foam air filters but haven't thought about how to make the change. Thanks for your help. dave

Old 03-15-05, 07:58 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Does it still run rich when it is gennin? If it is only running a bit rich with no load, it could be with a load on it, your mixture will be ok.
Dunno just a thought...?

Old 03-15-05, 02:47 PM
Did you buy a genuine Briggs filter or an aftermarket? Azis brought up a good point, most generators will tend to run rich until a parasidic load is applied.

Old 03-15-05, 04:05 PM
air filter

On the air filter I bought I think an orginal equipment replacement. It had the same identical stock numbers on it, I don't think it's after market. I bought the generator at lowes and have noticed in other lowes stores one had two of the same generators marked down $200.00 less. I am wondering if there having problems with them. I tested out the generator by plugging in a 500 watt portable work light and the engine ran normal, didn't bog down, didn't raise in rpm's either that was with out the air filter. The carburetor has a fixed jet, no rich or lean screw adjustment.

When I installed the new air filter and ran it, and removed the air filter there was oil on the paper. Could the black hose going to the air filter have something to do with it. I think that's the crankcase ventilation hose or what ever it's called. I only adjusted the valves once. Should I check them again. Hey thanks for your help. dave

Old 03-15-05, 11:10 PM
air filter

I would try to get a filter that flows easily and has a much higher capacity. Like a K & N filter (performance filter for cars) and just make it fit.

Old 03-16-05, 01:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oil on the filter? Check the oil level. Is it too full? Does it smell like gas? If so, the carb is leaking fuel into the crankcase. Does the engine smoke at all?

Old 03-16-05, 06:47 AM
engine

The engine does not smoke with filter off. With filter on there is a very slight color of black smoke almost not noticable. With filter on the engine runs as if the choke were on. On the oil it has two yellow twist off caps one on each side of the engine on the bottom. I did fill it to the top. dave

Old 03-16-05, 02:37 PM
What type and what weight oil are you using? What is the ambient temperature that the unit is used in? If you are using an oil that is too viscous, this could simply be your trouble. Or you may have a breather assembly problem. When you checked the oil level, was the engine level?

Old 03-16-05, 05:03 PM
oil

I have the generator on the patio which is close to level or just angled a bit for drainage. I don't have the directions for the generator however I was able to look at them at the store. I wasn't clear on how much oil to add even after looking at the directions. I'm not certain what weight oil I put in but I think it was 30 weight and not 10-30. I used the 10-30 for my snowthrower. I live in maryland and the generator will be mostly used spring to summer should the power go out and possibly winter. It sounds like your leaning more towards a oil problem. dave

Old 12-07-08, 12:50 PM
electric motor removal from engine

Hi

Any chance can you tell me how to remove the electric motor from the engine? I am stuck just on this part.. I have a broken rod too.

Old 12-08-08, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The engine shaft is tapered. There is probably a long bolt that goes all the way through the rotor that you'll need to remove, then you will probably have to disassemble the generator electrical components to get the rotor off (usually a sharp knock with a piece of 2X4 from the side will jar it loose). Then you can remove the front part of the housing from the engine, and access the crankcase cover.