Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh HM80

MI

03-12-05, 07:35 AM   #1  
Tecumseh HM80

I have a 1978 Ariens (924000 series) "Sno-Thros" snow thrower and need an engine. (or just the shortblock) The engine is an HM80-155128E, Serial: #003955.

All of the local engine dealers in my area are telling me there is no shortblock available but can get me a new, complete engine for for around $475. I've seen new HM80's for much less than that but the engine type numbers on these new engines don't not match my old engine.

Does anybody know if a current HM80 will fit this snow thrower and if so, which model/type should I order?

Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links

CANADA

03-13-05, 08:05 AM   #2  
Philossifer
I just checked online and the short block number for that engine is 756243A.
Now whether it is still available or not I can't tell you but at least it's a starting point.

snoman

NY

03-13-05, 08:07 AM   #3  
For winter applications, only a Snow King (model series HMSK) is available. The HM series is no longer available for winter apps. It is true that there is no shortblock available either. How much damage do you have? Is it worth repairing with individual parts? Can you do your own labor with a rebuild? Your local dealer is on the money as far as a replacement engine cost. Post back with exact trouble.

MI

03-13-05, 12:13 PM   #4  
Posted By: puey61 For winter applications, only a Snow King (model series HMSK) is available. The HM series is no longer available for winter apps. It is true that there is no shortblock available either. How much damage do you have? Is it worth repairing with individual parts? Can you do your own labor with a rebuild? Your local dealer is on the money as far as a replacement engine cost. Post back with exact trouble.
puey61,
The rod is broken and the case has a hole in it. The machine belonged to my wifeís father; he gave it to me with the blown engine. His claim is that ice built-up on the governor linkage and when he fired the engine, it started racing and before he could shut it down - BANG! I have the engine off the machine but I havenít taken it apart so I donít know if there is any other damage.

The snow thrower itself looks almost like new. My father-in-law must have washed and waxed it on a regular basis. Itís definitely worth installing a new engine. Heís got money to blow so he went out and bought a brand new Ariens. Personally, I like the old one better; Iím glad he gave it to me!

BTW, I can do my own labor if necessary but I'd rather get a the shortblock, or find out if one of the current 8 horsepower Tecumsehís would fit.
Thanks,
Phil

NY

03-14-05, 02:58 PM   #5  
All the parts needed, individually, are still available. A tear-down on your part will be required to inspect for damage beyond the obvious, such as the crankshaft and camshaft. If it's limited to the rod and cylinder, you will look at spending around $250 for the parts. Be sure to inspect the governor gear and spool closely for any trouble when you get inside the engine. Post back once you've done this.

Search this Thread