need belt arrangement for older mtd tiller.

Old 03-13-05, 12:04 PM
berniebo
Visiting Guest
Question need belt arrangement for older mtd tiller.

Hi, I am trying to ressurect an old MTD 8hp(b+s) front tine tiller. I have a model #215-375-004 or(216-376-004) its a little worn. What I am looking for is a diagram of the belt set up for reverse and the propper belt length. This tiller description is "MTD 8 , 2 SPEED , WITH REVERSE." I believe its a canadian model. I dont know how old it is but it looks about 20yrs or so. If anyone can lead me to a site for this info I would be gratefull because I have spent a lot of time looking with no luck. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-05, 01:47 PM
Belts for mtd tiller

I think that if you go to
http://manuals.mtdproducts.com/mtd/manuals
and click on public sites it will direct you to the manuals page.
Have model and serial number of the tiller, not the motor.
It shows where the model and serial numbers are.
Hope this helps! Others will be along with more info.
T.J. terry

Old 03-14-05, 02:22 PM
berniebo
Visiting Guest
tried that,but no luck.

It turns out that this till is a 1975 model and the MTD site does not go back that far for support. Any more suggestions welcome.

Old 03-14-05, 02:30 PM
Take a closer look at the model number (which you supplied) as this does not show up on either my software or microfiche. If you're sure it is a nine digit number, it will be an eighties vintage unit. 70's vintage will be only six digit model number. I show a 215-386-xxx in the model year 1985 but nothing like what you supplied. Check it out and post back.

Old 03-15-05, 09:08 AM
berniebo
Visiting Guest
rechecked the model number.

thanks for the research, I rechecked the model # and it is definitely an mtd model#215-375-004. I got the year from a MTD customer service tech who said that the 3rd diget was the model year, and he was sure it was a 1975, but he could be wrong, it could be a 1985, that was the only help MTD was to me and also telling me that its too old for them to have info on their computers.

Old 03-15-05, 02:42 PM
I looked in my 1975 microfiche and found a 215-375A, containing no third series of digits, in other words no dash 004. This model shows the two belts running perpendicular to the machine, in other words, towards the front of the machine. The forward motion belt (also being the front-most) as a part# 954-0190 and the reverse motion belt being 954-0189. The reverse belt runs off the extended camshaft, thereby giving you the backwards rotation for reverse. My look-up goves no indication of size of either belt and I don't stock either one as well in order to measure them for you. Check with the factory for these. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 03-17-05, 11:55 AM
berniebo
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up WOW, great response.

I took both the part numbers to my local supplier and both numbers superceeded to a good number, the original numbers appear to be cub cadet numbers which was aquired by mtd at some point. That could be the reason for those extra 3 digits. I installed the belts and both forward and reverse are working fine. Thank's again for your help. Bernie.