Old Ariens rototiller pull cord mechanism on the fritz

Old 03-14-05, 08:32 AM
ekote
Visiting Guest
Old Ariens rototiller pull cord mechanism on the fritz

I have a very old Ariens rototiller that worked beautifully before the pull cord mechanism stopped working. I took it to a repair shop and they rewound this metal strip that worked like a spring. I then was able to start it once before it failed once again. I've tried winding it myself, using the verbal instructions given to me by the repairman. No luck. I love the thing, but I fear that further repair work will outstrip its financial value-I could end up buying a new (or newer) version for the money I might have to put out to have someone look at it (the first fix was free). Is there a way I can simply buy a new part to replace the old spring/pullcord piece?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-05, 09:32 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
The starter assy can be replaced easily, new one should be around 25 bucks or so. Depends on the engine, I am not very familiar with Ariens, but if it is a briggs or tecumseh engine, you can prolly find parts lists and buy parts at Sears online. You will need the model # of the engine to use here http://www3.sears.com/

GL

Old 03-14-05, 10:05 AM
ekote
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I entered the model number I obtained from a silver tag on the engine shroud, but Sears did not recognize it. Hmmm.

Old 03-14-05, 10:11 AM
ekote
Visiting Guest
Hold the phone! I couldn't read the model number clearly, so I went back and placed a piece of paper over the serial number and rubbed it with a pencil. I had two numbers wrong! I found the engine on sears.com! It's a Craftsman.
Thanks for the help!!!

Old 03-14-05, 10:23 AM
ekote
Visiting Guest
Ack! Says the part is no longer available. Now what?

Old 03-14-05, 02:24 PM
Let me have this model number and I'll see what my computer says.

Old 03-26-05, 11:42 AM
ekote
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, I was going through my subscriptions and noticed that a reply was made, but I was not notified via email like the other posts. Oh well.

The Model number is 143 541072 and the Serial Number is 03160. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 03-30-05, 02:40 PM
Well, you definitely have a Tecumseh engine. Problem is that none of my cross references show this model number, 'puter, fiche or OLD books. Check this number again for any possible mistakes in your previous post and let us know. If it is in fact correct, I'd suggest going to a dealer whose been in business a long time and they can likely find the parts you need by sight and recollection.

Old 03-30-05, 02:56 PM
ekote
Visiting Guest
The model number is definitely 143 541072, but I found a few other numbers to add to the serial-445 03160.
Does that help?
Thanks for your efforts.

Old 03-31-05, 04:57 AM
No, the serial is of no use for cross reference. You'll have to find an established Tecumseh dealer in your area.