Kemp Shredder Quits Won't Restart

Old 03-15-05, 04:32 PM
JACKYBOY
Visiting Guest
Angry Kemp Shredder Quits Won't Restart

My Kemp Yardmaster shredder with a 5HP Briggs and Stratton Magnetron engine started fairly easily this season but after an hour of use, the engine quit and would not restart. I replaced the ignition module two years ago.

I removed the drive belt and started the engine on the second pull. It ran very strong. I placed a shovel handle against the drive pulley, put my weight on it and couldn't stop the engine. I noted that the governor functioned properly, compensating for the load.

I put the belt back on so the shredder head was turning and couldn't start the engine. I took the belt off and the engine started on the first pull. I put the drive belt back on with the engine running. As soon as the belt seated in the driven pulley, the engine stopped instantly. The shredder head is turning freely.

I replaced the spark plug and have checked for spark which seems adequate. However, I'm beginning to think I'm not turning the engine fast enough when the shredder is connected.

I don't understand why the engine, which seems to be developing plenty of power, quits when I slip on the belt when it's running at top speed.

Though the shredder is over fifteen years old, total time on the engine is probably about fifty hours.

Frustrated and baffled.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-05, 01:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try running it with the choke closed halfway and see if it runs with the load on. If so, the engine may be running too lean.

Old 03-16-05, 02:40 PM
Sounds like you have a seized bearing - related to the shredder impeller - which may be causing the trouble. Can you, safely (remove the plug wire), turn the impeller by hand without resistance?

Old 03-16-05, 10:32 PM
Yeah i agree with puey, check to make sure the shreder turns easily enough and no moving parts have rusted causing it to not turn.

Good luck

Old 03-17-05, 01:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
He said the shredder head turned freely. I don't know what he is calling the head, but I assumed that it meant the shredder working mechanisms were turning freely. Am I mistaken (which often happens when I assume )?