Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

FWD vs. RWD

MI

03-17-05, 04:14 AM   #1  
FWD vs. RWD

I've been shopping for a new lawnmower and one of the first things I noticed was some machines have front-wheel-drive and others have rear-wheel-drive.

Is one type of drive better than the other? What are the pro's and con's of either drive system?

There is one particualar mower that I like but it has FWD. My gut feelings tell me that front wheel drive mowers aren't very good based solely on their cost. They are quite a bit cheaper than the RWD machines.
Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

03-17-05, 07:18 AM   #2  
Azis
Are you by chance confusing where the engine is mounted to what wheels are driven?
If you are looking at front wheel drive mowers, I would like to know which, all I can think of would be ZTR (Zero turn Radius) mowers, however these are usually higher quality and more expensive at least from what I have seen.
Most of the rear mounted engine mowers such as Snapper and Honda are a better quality than some cheaper tractor style(front mounted engine) mowers. They are not intended for as heavy of use however as some tractor style mowers. IMO

PA

03-17-05, 09:23 AM   #3  
Azis,
I'm guessing he is asking about self propelled walk behind mowers.

Philossifer,
The front wheel drive self propelleds I'm familiar with usually have front wheels that look like gears and are engaged by similar gears that are driven by the motor. These gear wheels wear down and become ineffective in transferring the drive, or the gear teeth become clogged with dirt and grass clippings and stop working until they are cleaned. They only offer one speed as well. The rear drive models can offer more than one speed and are more durable.

MI

03-17-05, 11:55 AM   #4  
Posted By: bontai Joe Azis,
I'm guessing he is asking about self propelled walk behind mowers.

Philossifer,
The front wheel drive self propelleds I'm familiar with usually have front wheels that look like gears and are engaged by similar gears that are driven by the motor. These gear wheels wear down and become ineffective in transferring the drive, or the gear teeth become clogged with dirt and grass clippings and stop working until they are cleaned. They only offer one speed as well. The rear drive models can offer more than one speed and are more durable.
Joe,
Yes, I was referring to walk behind mowers, not riding mowers or tractors.
This is the mower I'm interested in buying. It's 300 bucks at HomeDepot:
Toro
Phil

PA

03-17-05, 12:21 PM   #5  
The $300 price is Toro's suggested list price, so Home Depot isn't saving you any money if you have a Toro dealer nearby. I'd be inclined to spend $89 more and get the personal pace rear wheel drive model. I also noticed that all the Toro models adjust the height at each wheel individually. I'm spoiled by having a mower with one lever height adjustment. It's a small thing, I know, but it sure is nice to adjust one lever and know that all 4 wheels are set the same. Having said that, the most important thing to me is handle bar height as I have a bad back. Having a mower with the handlebars at the correct height is heaven compared to having to stoop over something too short. Just something to consider.

Search this Thread