Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Weed whacker head isn't turning

Visiting Guest

03-19-05, 12:59 PM   #1  
Filafan
Weed whacker head isn't turning

Hi--I just found this forum and hope someone knows the answer to my question I have a Craftsman weed whacker, almost a year old, that was working fine last time I used it. I just tried to start it and the head isn't turning. Nothing is wrapped around it and it turns freely by hand. Any ideas what I could look for before having to take it in for repairs? I will appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Gayle

Sponsored Links

AL

03-19-05, 05:21 PM   #2  
Weed wacker Head isn't turning

Hi Filafan
Sounds to me like you have a litttle problem.Thats the problem with those curved-shaft trimmers especailly the ones that have no clutch.Which I don't know if your's has one or not but sounds to me like your drive shaft is broken,on one end or the other,simple fix just slip the engine off the shaft and replace it.problem is your looking at $35.00+ - just for the drive shaft,not to mention the labor cost of someone putting it in for you.

If you deside to put it in for yourself there are plenty of people on the fourm here who will and be happpy to instruct you.Other wise I don't think that it's worth it.The repair of this unit at a shop somewhere will cost more than a totally new trimmer would. :thumbdn

Visiting Guest

03-19-05, 07:28 PM   #3  
Filafan
Weed Whacker Head Isn't Turning

Thanks for the reply. Ours has a straight shaft, don't know about the clutch. We bought it at Sears last year, about $140 I think, so if we could fix it for the cost of the part it might be worth it. I'll tell my husband and see if he wants to try it himself. Thanks!

Gayle

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-20-05, 12:15 AM   #4  
Hello Gayle!

First thing I would do is see if the shaft can be slid towards the engine a bit. Sometimes the shaft works loose a little, and moves away from the engine. This allows the cable to come out of the clutch and it will not spin anymore. Check that out, and if that's not the problem, the cable might be the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MA

03-20-05, 07:54 AM   #5  
If its still under warranty,take it back to sears.

Visiting Guest

03-20-05, 08:43 AM   #6  
Filafan
Weed Whacker Head Isn't Turning

Thanks for the ideas everybody. My husband will check it out tomorrow on his day off. I priced the part (flexible drive shaft) and it's only $16.49 so that's not too bad if we find we need it. I don't think it's under warranty, we bought it April 12, 2004. I can't find the receipt, but should have the credit card statement. That's worth checking into also.

Visiting Guest

03-20-05, 12:45 PM   #7  
Filafan
Good News/Bad News

The good news--I finally got it started, the head turned, and I was able to use it. The bad news--I shut it off, then when I tried to restart it later the rope jammed. It's out all the way and won't retract. Maybe the spring is rusted? It was kept on a covered, screened in porch but it gets real humid here on the Mississippi gulf coast

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-21-05, 12:56 AM   #8  
Give the area near the pull rope a rap with a piece of wood. Sometimes it just jams if pulled out too far and a rap on the side can get it loose sometimes. The ratchet pawls may be stuck and need lubricating.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 03:52 PM   #9  
Filafan
Re: Good News/Bad News

Wow am I glad I found this site! Something so simple that actually worked. I rapped it a few times with a piece of 2x2 and it scared me it went in so fast Haven't tried starting it yet, my arms are too sore from the vibration of it when I did use it. Thank you!

Gayle

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-22-05, 02:10 AM   #10  
Hehe! Glad to help!

God bless!

Search this Thread