Oil Leaking - Due to mice?

Old 03-20-05, 07:44 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
Oil Leaking - Due to mice?

I pulled the old Snapper 48" (Kohler engine) out of the shed the other day. Found a couple mice nests and when I went to pull of the air filter cover, I noticed some mice crap in the air filter housing (looked like they had nibbled on the foam prefilter, but then decided they didn't like it.
Anyway, I cleared out all the poop and nests and used it today for the first time since fall. I noticed oil leaking pretty bad. Looks like it was coming from near where the engine and air filter compartment meet. I pulled the air filter and notices some oil had splashed up underneath it. What would cause oil to splash up into the air filter compartment?? I did add some oil because it was low.

Could the cause be from a mice nest inside the engine? Don't know how I would look without taking a lot of stuff apart. Any other things that I should look at as the cause??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-05, 12:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello John!

Sounds like blowby from the crankcase. If some debris (possibly from the mice) got down into the breather tube, it may have gotten stuck in the PCV valve. This could cause the problem. Also, a blown head gasket, bad rings, engine damage, too much oil, too thin oil (gas in oil), and a clogged drain in the pcv valve area could cause this.

Old 03-24-05, 07:06 AM
Any luck yet in determining your cause of trouble, John? When you topped off the oil, did you overfill it? What weight oil did you use?

Old 03-29-05, 09:50 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
No Luck. The oil is leaking worse. I have to put about half a quart in every 4 hours to keep it from running too low. If I can just get another 4-8 hours out of it, I won't need it much the rest of the summer. Would it hurt to run it like this for another 4-8 hours as long as I keep oil in it?

Old 03-30-05, 12:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As long as it's full of oil and will run, I guess you'll be ok. Watch out that the oil doesn't leak onto anything that could get hot enough to ignite it.

Old 03-30-05, 03:19 AM
The first step i'd take is to remove the breather assembly, clean or replace such. Is the oil still puddling up in the air cleaner area? Any other area(s) of leakage?

Old 03-30-05, 07:57 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
Yes, oil is still collecting inside the air filter area as well as outside all over the engine. Why would oil be collecting in that air filter area? FYI- it is an old Snapper 48" GT hydro lawn tractor. Maybe I need to go to a heavier wt oil. Should I try 40wt. That may be what was in it last year, but I'm not sure. I put some 10w30 in early this spring...after it started leaking, I put 30wt in, but that didn't seem to help.

Old 03-31-05, 04:42 AM
A heavier oil will make matters worse as the breather will have even more difficulty in draining the oil out. You have one of two problems: 1- A defective breather (or, if you have happened to remove such recently it may be installed upside-down whereas the drain holes are on the top rather than the bottom); 2- An air leakage related to the crankcase (crank seal, sump gasket, dipstick seal, valve guide(s) or rings. A vacuum test of the crankcase will help in determining if it is any of #2 above. Have you had the breather out any time recently? Use oil as follows...Summer weather SAE30W, Winter weather SAE5W30, provided the Kohler is not a Command overhead valve engine. Then it will be SAE10W30 for Summer use.

Old 04-02-05, 07:34 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
Think I found the source

Looks like the oil is leaking from the air filter compartment. I noticed oil puddles inside that area when checking the filter. As the engine is running, I can see it oozing out from under the air filter compartment cover and dripping onto everything below.

What would cause this problem. As I mentioned in my original post, I saw mice dropping in the air filter compartment. Not sure if it's related or not???

Old 04-02-05, 10:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The things Puey61 mentioned in his latest post are what could cause your problem. You'll have to check these out to determine which is the cause.

Search this Thread