Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Push Lawn Mowers - Electric or Gas ??

Visiting Guest

03-21-05, 02:25 PM   #1  
scorp3175
Push Lawn Mowers - Electric or Gas ??

We have a midsize lawn with grass growing fast that it can get tall in couple of weeks. I heard electric mowers are weak or doesn't work too well for taller grass. Is it correct? How does it compare to gas powered mowers?

I'm having tough time deciding between electric (Black & Decker - model# MM575) and gas (Craftsman or Troy-bilt).

Any recommendations? Any recommendation (buy or not buy) on brand and model of any mower ?

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-22-05, 02:15 AM   #2  
Hello scorp!

I really don't have a lot of expertise in the electric mower area. I can say that I have not been impressed by ANY of the electric models I have seen yet. Especially the rechargeable ones. As far as brand, find the one that suits you best. The better mowers cost more. Be careful though, some mowers are high priced just because of features. What good are $300 worth of features on a $99 mower?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

03-22-05, 06:42 AM   #3  
I wouldn't consider an electric mower for a lawn over 10,000 sq, feet. (100 x 100) Since most electrics are only 18" wide or less, it would take a long time to mow a patch of grass. They are not as powerful as gas powered mowers which might require cutting more often to avoid struggling with tall grass, but they are essentially maintenance free. If I had a small yard of say 75 x 100 or less, I would seriously consider a rechargeabe mower (no cord). The other advantage to the electrics is that they are VERY quiet. When I was a kid, we still had the electric mower my grandfather made using a washing machine motor bolted to an old mower deck and attached to what was once probably a 100" extension cord. The cord was only around 50 to 60 feet long when I saw it and more than half of it was taped over splices where it had been cut. One of the reasons I would favor a rechargeable, but then I am as much of a klutz as my parents and maybe you are smart/careful enough not to run over the cord. That is your call.

Visiting Guest

03-22-05, 08:49 AM   #4  
Mr. M
Gas mower all the way. They're more powerful but more maintenance ala oil change etc. Plus you want the manly smell of gasoline and the loud motor humming anyway.

Visiting Guest

03-24-05, 02:29 PM   #5  
scorp3175
Rear wheels, big or small?

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to get a Gas mower Now I'm stuck on another factor as to get a mower with bigger rear wheels or the same size as the front one. Some people say if you have uneven grounds then bigger rear wheel has an advantage. Our lawn is pretty level with only 2-3 minor bumps.

Do you guys suggest getting one with bigger rear wheel or not?

I'm considering among these two Troy-bilt models from lowes:

Model 546N - 6.75 HP 21" Cut Rear Bag with Z-Start/ReadyStart Engine Push Mower - (8" Front 12" Rear)

and

Model 436A - 6.5 HP 21" Cut Rear Bag with Z-Start Engine Push Mower (8" Front & Rear Ball Bearing Wheels)

You can get more info from Lowe's website..

Thanks..

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-24-05, 03:57 PM   #6  
The mowers with higher rear wheels are just more easy to maneuver and use altogether. Especially in thicker grass and bumpy terrain. They are also easier to turn. I think it's worth the extra $$ for them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread