Can I just replace with a mulching blade?

Old 03-21-05, 10:33 AM
Mr. M
Visiting Guest
Can I just replace with a mulching blade?

I have a cheapo side-discharge push lawn mower, and want to turn it into a mulching mower. Can I just go out and buy a mulching blade and switch it? Does that turn my cheapo mower into a mulching mower?

Thanks.

Old 03-21-05, 10:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you can find a mulching blade for your mower, you can put it on. You will have to block the discharge door/opening so the blade will work properly. Mulching blades rely on the grass clippings staying under the mower so they can be continually cut up. Good luck.
It will not work as well as a mower made to mulch.

Old 03-21-05, 01:35 PM
Mr. M
Visiting Guest
Well that sucks. I was hoping to get away with it cheaply.

Thanks anyway.

Old 03-22-05, 02:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You can swap the blades, but expect at least SOME discharge from the chute. Block the chute and you'll be mulching, as mentioned.

Old 03-22-05, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may have to mow your yard more than what you do now. Also, if anything, just remember the rule-of-thumb and that is to not cut the grass more then one-third of its length. I have a mower that it made to mulch and it has a mulching blade on it and it does struggle a bit. Just make sure that your mower is in top condition while you are mulching and you should be fine. There is a blade at Wal-Mart made by max-power and it is thick and has ridges cut in it and I think that the blade would be fine for you. Good luck.

Old 03-22-05, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have a similar opinion as majak. I don't think you'll be satisfied. If the mower wasn't designed to be a mulching mower from the factory it likely won't do a good job in trying to do such. There are too many corners of a standard deck to be an effective mulcher. A good mulching deck will be circular in design with no areas for grass to get trapped. I say keep it as a discharge mower.

Old 03-23-05, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by puey61
I have a similar opinion as majak. I don't think you'll be satisfied. If the mower wasn't designed to be a mulching mower from the factory it likely won't do a good job in trying to do such. There are too many corners of a standard deck to be an effective mulcher. A good mulching deck will be circular in design with no areas for grass to get trapped. I say keep it as a discharge mower.
Yes, I do agree with you. If he wanted to, couldn't he get an old mulching deck that his engine could fit onto and just swap the engine over. It would take some work but it would also be cheaper then buying a new lawnmower.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: