Briggs & Stratton rings

Old 03-24-05, 04:29 PM
Briggs & Stratton rings

I have my 6 hp Briggs and Stratton engine apart because of an oil burning problem. I have a new ring set and I am looking for some advice or tips on the best way to reinstall the rings without a ring compressor tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-05, 05:45 PM
Exclamation Brigggs & Stratton rings

The best by far is a ring compressor,but if you cant borrow one or dont want to buy one you can always make out of a smooth piece of metal.Cut about 2-1/2" to 3" wide and long enough to wrap around the piston.Leave enough on each end to bend and use a pair of plairs to squezze tight.Or you can use a smooth walled can.Split it along side,bend enough on each side to grab and tighten with plairs.

REMEMBER NOT TO LINE UP THE RING GAPS,THIS WILL ALLOW OIL TO SEEP INTO COMBUSTION CHAMBER!!

Old 03-25-05, 01:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello nittany77!

I sometimes use a hose clamp when a ring compressor is unavailable. Just a regular automotive radiator hose clamp. Snug it just enough to compress the rings, but still let the piston slide through it. As mentioned, don't line up the ring end gaps. Stagger them 1/3rd around the piston. Make sure you don't have a ridge at the top of the cylinder and if the cylinder is cast iron, then hone the cylinder before installing the piston and rings. Also make sure the ring grooves are free of carbon buildup.

Old 03-25-05, 04:16 PM
The hose clamp worked just fine, thanks!

Old 03-27-05, 02:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad I could help!