Disposable??? Electric Leaf Blower

Old 03-28-05, 04:06 PM
Disposable??? Electric Leaf Blower

I have an inexpensive McCulloch Eager Beaver II Electric Blower/Vac. It worked fine for several years, but it no longer runs. I checked the plug terminals with my ohmmeter and got an open circuit. Assuming I had a bad switch or loose connection, I decided to open the case, even though it stated there were no servicable parts inside. I had to go to a tool store to get a Torx Security bit for three of the screws. Once inside, the switch and connections checked out ok, the reason it doesn't run is there is no electrical continuity at the motor brushes. However, the brushes are not accessable for removal and neither is the motor, the only removeable parts are the switch and the line cord, providing parts are available. Everything else is sealed in plastic. Apparently, it is repaired by total replacement.

What I want to know is if anyone has successfully disassembled and repaired any make/model electric leaf blower without cutting, breaking or altering, was it worth the effort, what is the make & model and is it still sold?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-05, 06:32 PM
Thumbs down Leaf Blower additional notes.

Browsing the web, I found 2 Toro models at Lowes and other sites. The Toro site has parts lists available, but no electrical parts are listed. I noticed that the impeller is removable from the motor shaft, which is an improvement over the McCullogh, which is sealed to the shaft, making the motor impossible to remove and/or service without destroying the fan and/or case.

It does not appear to be an acceptable choice.

Old 03-31-05, 01:22 PM
Lightbulb Additional Blower/Vac Research - Sears Craftsman

Since my first Blower/Vac post I have been able to gather some service info on Sears Craftsman and have determined that all of their Craftsman models from $17.47 to $69.99 have removeable motors and electrical and other service parts are available. These definitely appear to be at least one step above the broken McCullough I have or the Toro models I have researched.
However, only the model 358748200 @ $34.99 has a replacement motor that costs slightly less than the complete product @ $28.95. The least expensive blower(no vac) @ $17.47 has a replacement motor costing $31.71. It seems a lot of research is required to choose a unit which might be economically repairable. I would say I have found units that are economically repairable, except for the motor and that I am probably not likely to find a make/model which has a motor costing $7 less than a complete product.

Does anyone know who manufactures the Sears Craftsman Electric Leaf Blowers and Blower/Vacs?