Murray 17hp 42in rider

Old 03-29-05, 07:47 AM
Murray 17hp 42in rider

I have inherited a Murray 17hp 42in ridermower. I know it ran well last year, but it has been left out all winter. The first problem is the mower deck, it has been abused and one of the spindle houseings are broken, I would like to replace both jackshafts and blades. How do you remove them ? I have removed both blades but the pullys will not let me pull them off the deck. Any advice?

Model #42a707 type# 165301

Last edited by buzzkutt-b; 03-29-05 at 07:48 AM. Reason: More information
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-05, 09:39 AM
The model you gave is for the engine only. The tractor model will be on a sticker either under the seat or at the rear of the frame. But, typically the spindle housing is held in place to the deck by way of five bolts. The best way to service this is to remove the deck from the chassis...not too bad a job to do. Post back with the chassis ID numbers!!!

Old 03-29-05, 09:49 AM
This came from the back of the seat. 162835. I have removed the deck and removed the blades. But I dont know how remove the jackshafts in the spindle and the pullys on top of the shaft.

Old 03-29-05, 04:17 PM
Exclamation Murray 17hp 42in rider

Purey 61 is right on the money about takeing the deck off.The jack shaft pulleys are both taken off by means of a 15/16 nut,(you might have to take one or both belt gaurds off and then they should just pull off.Be sure to notice the way the belt runs.Its not a bad idea to check both blade and traction belts for signs of wear/cracking eighter.Traction belt is on top,just under the frame.Also check all idler pulleys for freedom of movement.it will save a lot of headachs down the road.

Old 03-30-05, 12:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, you will need to remove the pulley nuts and get the pulleys off to change the assembly.

Old 03-30-05, 03:12 AM
Actually, you should still be able to pull the drive pulley and spindle shaft as one. Chances are the blade hub (and key, if an older machine, or splined otherwise) is still on the lower end and more times than not you will have to ruin each to get them off as it is difficult to get a puller on them. The big hammer trick is usually the ticket.

Old 03-31-05, 04:48 PM
Any advice in removal of the pullys?

Old 03-31-05, 08:53 PM
Arrow Murray 17hp 42in rider

OK after you've removed the 15/16 in.nuts from top of the pulleys and the belt gaurds they just pull off.You might have to use something like WD-40 or liqud wrench,and without bending the pulleys use a hammer to lightly tap them off.When ever I find a hard one to take off I find someone to hold the pulley up an then hit on the jackshaft with a flat punch or piese of wood.And as mentioned take the remaining bolts from around jack housing.

Old 04-01-05, 01:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
now, what Puey61 was saying works too, and probably better. Just remove the blade, and knock the whole jackshaft, pulley and all, upwards out the top of the deck. Then remove the mandrel housing. You can just leave the pulley on that way.

Old 04-03-05, 08:33 AM
Well, I got one side off but the other I had to cut it off with my rip saw. Looks like I have to replace 1 jackstaff and 1 complete spindle or mandrel. I will go to the store Tuesday and get the parts and then move on to getting it started.
Thanks for all the advice.

Search this Thread