Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help with wiring on Sears rider

Visiting Guest

03-29-05, 04:40 PM   #1  
AndrewFH
Need help with wiring on Sears rider

I have a Sears 42" riding mower with a 16HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Last fall it threw a rod and the engine is not repairable.
I have gotten a 14.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine and am in the process of replacing the 16HP engine. Unfortunately the guy I had look at the mower when it first broke down removed and tore down the engine, but did not put it back together or back on the mower (not that I expected him to). He simply put all the parts in a box and gave it to me. I can't get in touch with him now (he's gone out of business) so can't go to him with my question.
The 14.5 engine is an older model, although I am not sure how old. I'll add both model numbers below so if you need them they'll be there.
It seems to fit okay, although I am having to make some minor mods (such as the muffler which will not fit right on my frame). However, I am not certain of the wiring and since I did not remove the old engine I can't compare that.
The 14.5 engine has four wires on it (two sets of two wires each with plugs on the ends). There is a black and white set. The white wire attaches to something under the carb (looks like an electronic part), there is also a black wire attached to this part which is grounded to the block. The black wire coming from the plug seems to run up past the card and up under the cover (perhaps to the flywheel area). The second wire set is on the other side of the engine. It has a red and black wire which run up under the cover. The other end has a plug and there is a slight bulge in the red wire just before the plug which I understand is a diode (I think).
There are four wires coming from my key switch. There is a red & orange set and a black & blue set. They both end with plugs.
If I connect the plugs up just as they are wired (male to female) I end up with:
1) red & orange plug from the key attached to the red & black plug from the engine
2) blue & black plug from the ket attached to the black & white plug from the engine.

There is also a thick red cable which I assume goes to the starter.

Before I hook this up and give it a try, I wanted to see if anyone could tell me if this was the correct way it should be wired. Don't want to fry the electrical system.
Anyone have any thoughts?

The old engine is a B&S 16HP model 311700 type 0132 E1 code 990910ZE
The repl. engine is a B&S 14.5HP model 287707 type 0227 01 code 9412224B

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-30-05, 12:36 AM   #2  
Hello Andrew!

The red and black wire set with the diode (yes, you're correct) goes to the red and orange set on the mower. If you want to make sure of this, then check the red wire on the mower end of the harness for battery voltage. If so, that is the correct match.

The black and white wire set on the engine has no matching plug on the mower. The 2 cylinder engine you had did not have this plug. The solenoid on the carb is the white wire, and it needs 12 volts when the key is on, but not when the key is off. The black wire on that plug is the kill wire to the coil. The mower harness may have a single black wire to connect to this.

You are correct about the starter cable.

The black and blue wire set from the mower harness is the lights.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

03-30-05, 03:40 PM   #3  
AndrewFH
Follow up

I appreciate the help cheese.
After reading your answer I do need to clarify some points.
My old engine (the 16HP) was a single cylinder engine, not a two cylinder as you suggested. After reading your reply, I checked the B&S website and looked at a parts diagram for both engines. It appears that my 16HP did have a fuel solenoid.
Secondly, I am pretty certain that the black and blue wire is not the headlights. There is a third set of wires I did not mention which are for the headlights. I disconnected these when I removed the cowling so I am certain they are the headlights, which is why I did not mention them. Sorry if that was confusing.
There is actually a large (about 1/2") wrapped bundle of wires that come off of some type of wiring block up under the "dash". I can't really trace them back given where they are located (without some major dismantling to get at them). The bundle runs along the top of the frame rail. about halfway along, four of the wires come out of the bundle into a large connector block. Off of this connector block, the two sets of wires (red/orange and black/blue) run out. The remaining wires (still bundled up) continue on to the front of the mower where they attach to the headlights.
Given this additional information, I am assuming the black/blue pair connect to the black/white pair which leads to the fuel solenoid.
Does this sound correct?
Again thanks for your assistance.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-31-05, 01:35 AM   #4  
Ok, it sounds like it may be right, although I don't remember blue being used on the solenoid. It may well be. To check, see if the bluw wire has 12 volts when the key is on, and only then, and also see if the black wire has continuity to ground with the key off. If so, you should have the right wires for the solenoid.

I see the model# now for the old 16hp. I should've known it was a single, but I didn't pay enough attention.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread