Trans Fluid in Old Snapper

Old 03-29-05, 09:52 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
Trans Fluid in Old Snapper

I have an old Snapper 48" mower with a Kohler Engine. I don't have an owners manual. The trans fluid is only about 1/4 full. Looks like it can hold about a gallon. Should I add some trans fluid to it? What wt oil should I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-05, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello John!

Is it a hydro tranny? What model mower? I can't think of any 48" snapper right off hand, unless it's a front deck mower.

Old 03-30-05, 09:06 AM
Azis
Visiting Guest
Use this link to get to the Snapper site..http://www.snapper.com/ then, in the upper right hand corner, click on "Publications" Enter your info to get an owners manual as well as ne other manuals that may be available such as parts lists.
The owners manual should have the info for maintaining your tranny...

Old 03-30-05, 11:22 AM
Is this a late 1970's vintage Snapper tractor with a 48" mid mount mower? They were also marketed as Massey Fergusons, both with a hydro tranny. Any additional info would be helpfull to us in figuring out what you have.

Old 03-30-05, 07:59 PM
John Dillon
Visiting Guest
It is a 48" GT hydro model. I found a publication on the Snapper website that showed the trans fluid to be 30wt engine oil. I thought it would be heavier wt, but I guess I'm wrong. Looks like I need to fill it to within 2" of the top of the reservoir.