Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman snow thrower Model 536.883300

03-31-05, 06:46 AM   #1  
craftsman snow thrower Model 536.883300

Hi. I have trouble running my snow thrower. It won't start and run.
When I put gas directly into the carburetar(sp) it will start then die right out.
I took bowl off the carb and I noticed there was no needle valve.
The parts list shows a inlet needle valve.

Now I don't know if there never was a valve or I lost it taking off the bowl, which I doubt. Though I ordered a valve to be on the safe side, any info how to install this valve if it is required.
Thanks for any and all help here.
any help here.
Mike

Sponsored Links

TX

03-31-05, 04:16 PM   #2  
If you didn't have a float needle in it, you should have had gas running out of the carb. Sounds like you have a blockage between the carb and fuel tank or in the tank outlet itself.
Mike A

NY

04-01-05, 03:16 AM   #3  
Regardless of which brand engine you have, there will certainly be an inlet needle. If it didn't have one it would leak gasoline all the time as the carb would have no way of stopping the fuel flow to the bowl. It must have dropped off when you removed the bowl. But, furthermore, the trouble you're having indicates you'll need to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner (I like Napa #6401). Strip down, removing all rubber and as many plastic pieces as possible from the carb and soak for 15 minutes. Use caution as this is a very strong cleaner. Use rubber gloves and eye protection while handling. After soaking, flush off with a good spray carb cleaner, assemble with a genuine carb kit, replace the float (if needed), replace the mounting gasket and away you go. This should take care of the trouble.

04-01-05, 11:00 AM   #4  
Posted By: mla2ofus If you didn't have a float needle in it, you should have had gas running out of the carb. Sounds like you have a blockage between the carb and fuel tank or in the tank outlet itself.
Mike A
Mike, the fuel tank and line are clear.
Ordered a needle kit, will see what happens then.
thanks for the reply

04-01-05, 11:09 AM   #5  
Posted By: puey61 Regardless of which brand engine you have, there will certainly be an inlet needle. If it didn't have one it would leak gasoline all the time as the carb would have no way of stopping the fuel flow to the bowl. It must have dropped off when you removed the bowl. But, furthermore, the trouble you're having indicates you'll need to soak the carb in a bath type cleaner (I like Napa #6401). Strip down, removing all rubber and as many plastic pieces as possible from the carb and soak for 15 minutes. Use caution as this is a very strong cleaner. Use rubber gloves and eye protection while handling. After soaking, flush off with a good spray carb cleaner, assemble with a genuine carb kit, replace the float (if needed), replace the mounting gasket and away you go. This should take care of the trouble.
/

Hi, you are right about the needle, ordered the needle kit from Sears. hope it isn't difficult to install.
When I had the carb off, I found in the bowl retaining screw a tiny hole running vertical which seemed to be clogged. Maybe this was my problem all the time. Now I have a bigger head ache installing the needle valve.
Thanks for you help. If you wish I will keep you postrd on the results in a few days.
Mike

04-05-05, 04:13 PM   #6  
It works

Thanks to all, the snow thrower now works. new needle valve and cleaned orfice (0.25") in carb bowl screw.

Search this Thread