11 HP B&S - charging problem

Old 03-31-05, 06:54 PM
11 HP B&S - charging problem

I got this mower last year. I was told that it uses a battery every season. This caused me to check the charging voltage to see if it was working. Well, it works but it was putting out 15.4 volts. This unit doesn't have a voltage regulator but it does have a diode.
Thinking this was bad, I replaced it with a new one from the JD dealer. I've also replaced the air filter, cleaned the spark plug and adjusted the carb. Now I'm getting 16.4 (blades on) - 17.5 (blades off) volts. This has got to be bad on a battery.
How do I fix this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 01:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree. Sounds like the charging system is working fine. Maybe it has been equipped with el-cheapo batteries in the past? Try a good battery, 325 cca or better from a good supplier. I like the advance auto parts batteries. Also interstate and die hard.

Old 04-01-05, 04:30 AM
Please clarify your response. I'm not sure what you agree with.

I thought charging a battery with more than about 14.5 volts was bad for it.

The battery I took out had "gunk" coming out from around the posts. This was not the typical corrosion found on battery posts, it was wet and gooey. Almost as if the electrolyte was leaking and forming a sort of sludge.

I did replace the battery with a 325 cca one from Walmart. The old one was the smallest NAPA sells.

Old 04-02-05, 02:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry, I mistook your last part of your post to read "this has got to be a bad battery". With which I agreed, although I read it wrong. Anyway, it sounds to me like your charging system is ok. I think your charging voltage is a bit high, but the engine has no regulator. Check the voltage now that you have a good battery. Also, make sure the engine isn't over-revved. The engine charges in direct proportion to the RPMs, so if it is revving too high, it will charge too much.

Old 04-02-05, 04:41 AM
Thanks for your assistance.

The 17.5 volts is with the new battery. Maybe this is just inherrent in this system and there isn't anything broken?

I'm not sure about the over-revving. I adjusted the carb for what sounded like the fastest and smoothest operation. I don't have anything to check the rpm's with on a lawn mower.