10Hp B&S I/C Throttle Help

Old 04-02-05, 05:09 AM
10Hp B&S I/C Throttle Help

I was just given a 36" Kees Walkbehind Model 361100. It has a 11hp Briggs I/C Model 253702 Type 0020-01 Code 86041610. It has been sitting in a garage for the past couple of years (with a half tank of gas) and no fuel stabilizer.

Now here is the problem, The machine started right up on a couple pulls but I can't get the engine to maintain a steady rpm with a load or no load. It seems that the rpm's keep increasing to the point that I have to back it down for fear of doing damage to the engine. Does the sound like a carb problem or something is wrong with the governor..

Any help Would be greatlyappreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-05, 09:22 AM
Without having the ability to actually hear the engine, based on the situation, I'd say you have a varnish issue. The varnish is likely, among other things, coated on the throttle shaft in the carburetor and thereby not allowing free movement of such. Briggs kit #394698 should take care of the problem. You will need to soak the bare carb in a bath cleaner (Ilike Napa #6401) for 15-30 minutes (depending on the extensiveness of varnish build-up). Use caution if you use this Napa product as it is very caustic...use rubber gloves and eye protection. This stuff will remove anything but rust. Be sure to remove all rubber and plastic parts from the carb before soaking and then use a carb spray cleaner (I like Briggs #100042) to flush off when finished soaking. Reassemble the carb, mount back up with the linkages installed properly and you should be on your way.

Old 04-02-05, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the reply so fast. I was just really concerned that it might have been a governor issue. It runs really well considering its been sitting awhile. It just had me concerned that the rpm's would just keep raising.

Search this Thread