Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

buying a lawn tractor

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 12:34 PM   #1  
khutton
buying a lawn tractor

I am in the market to buy a new lawn tractor with a 54" deck. I was wondering if you could suggest an engine I would be happy with. Also, if the extended warranty for another 3 years would be worth the extra cost of about $350.00. My budget is around $3,000.00. Thank you for your help

khutton

Sponsored Links

NY

04-05-05, 02:47 PM   #2  
I can't think of a single quality lawn tractor you'll find with a 54" cut for under $4000. You'll have to look at the mass merchants. Remember though....you get what you pay for!!! Hopefully you're handy.

PA

04-06-05, 06:41 AM   #3  
I'd look at the Cub Cadet GT1554 and GT2550, the Simplicity Broadmoor (50" deck) or their Massey Ferguson and AGCO clones. the Sears Craftsman DGT6000 and GT5000 and their Husqvarna clones, the Deere LT180 and LX266 (48" deck), and the Toro Classic 315-8 (higher price, but a really good tractor). The Cub, Toro and Sears models on my list are heavier built garden tractors, the others are quality Lawn tractors. I really hate to recommend the $999 models to anyone if their budget will allow a better machine. While checking these out, sit on them and check for seat comfort, leg room, belly room (if needed), ease of reaching the controls, on models with manual lift, can you easily raise the big mower decks? can other potential operators (spouse, kids) raise the mower deck? Which model has the mow in reverse feature that you can live with? Which dealer will be doing the servicing, and is his shop professional looking? Anyhow, that's my suggestion.

04-12-05, 04:16 AM   #4  
Khutton,

Check out this month's Consumer Reports. They did a roundup of lawn tractors.

Search this Thread