Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryobi String Trimmer starting problem

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 02:06 PM   #1  
dhop
Ryobi String Trimmer starting problem

Last summer, I purchased a Ryobi 31cc gas string trimmer. It was sold as "factory reconditioned", at a good price, with a very minimal warranty. When I first got it, it seemed to run OK, but little by little a began stalling, after which it was VERY hard to restart, then it became harder to start cold. Now, I can't get it to start at all. I can't just throw it away (I wouldn't accept defeat that quickly!), but I'm not sure where to look. I am pretty handy with such things, but I'm not really familiar with the small two-cycle engines. Any suggestions where I should begin?

Sponsored Links

NY

04-05-05, 02:43 PM   #2  
First area to check out is the piston and cylinder. Remove the muffler and the exhaust port will give you a good view of them. They should be nice and shiney. While you're there, check that the exhaust port is open and free of any carbon build-up. Post back with your findings once done. By the way, I would never suggest buying a reconditioned 2-stroker...it's usually bad news...previous owner forgot to add oil to the gas!!!

Visiting Guest

04-06-05, 08:11 AM   #3  
dhop
I guess I'm destined to learn the hard way that there are really never any "great deals". Thanks. I'll check and post findings.

Search this Thread