Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mtd tiller stopped and gave up ghost

Visiting Guest

04-05-05, 06:36 PM   #1  
cailou
mtd tiller stopped and gave up ghost

HI. My tiller with a 5hp b&s was running fine and just squeeled and stopped. I have tried putting gas down the cylinders... wont fire. I have taken the head off...No visible piston head or cylinder damage. There is lots of spark. The only thing I can think of is timing but its is , I believe, fixed to one position. Does anyone have a clue what could be troubleing me?

Thanking you in advance Cailou

Last edited by cailou; 04-08-05 at 02:38 PM.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-06-05, 01:30 AM   #2  
Does the engine still have compression? Does the piston even move up and down in the cylinder anymore when you turn the engine?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

04-08-05, 07:59 AM   #3  
cailou
Yes the pistons move freely and there was compression. Ive since taken the motor completely apart and found nothing damaged. By the way does anyone know how the governor works on this engine? Doesnt really make sence how it would work by looking at it.

Visiting Guest

04-08-05, 02:40 PM   #4  
cailou
found that the flywall key was broken and all is now well. Hope this helps someone else.

NY

04-08-05, 02:49 PM   #5  
Something that needs to be brought up here! First, make sure you torque the flywheel properly to 60 ft. lbs...this is critical to ensure you don't shear another key. Secondly, the squeel you mentioned needs to be addressed. This noise is unrelated to the key shearing, it is the rewind starter clutch making this noise. Pull it off, emery cloth the crankshaft and look closely for any burrs on the end of such (you would want to use a flat file to gently remove any burrs), clean and lubricate the balls in the clutch with a spray lube then reassemble. FYI: Briggs has a special wrench to torque the clutch, part # 19244.

Visiting Guest

04-09-05, 07:01 AM   #6  
cailou
right you are my friend that is exactly what the cause was. Although I did clean the balls up I didnt do any filing. Thanx for the tip.

Visiting Guest

04-14-05, 04:56 PM   #7  
Ziggo
5hp MTD tiller troubles...

Hello all!

Yesterday I was using my MTD/Yard Machines front tine tiller and all was well. Suddenly, the tiller just stopped and from the sound of it, it seemed as though it had lost compression. A quick pull on the cord confirmed that; no resistance (at least no where near what it should be when it had compression). I just finished disassembling the motor, and when I removed the head, the piston moves fine. I did notice that the valves were not moving. After removing the side of the motor casing to investigate, the slinger ring and slinger drive gear looks good (they are attached to the side casing, so came off with the side casing). If I move the crank, the drive gear to the valve lobes moves, but the lobes themselves do not. Also, there is a black fixture with a very small spring; does anyone know what this is for? Is this a hydraulic actuator of some sort? Also, does anyone know if I have to remove the crank and piston to remove the valve drive and lobes?

I appreciate your time and help!

Regards,
Ziggo

I can e-mail pictures if needed.

Search this Thread