Craftsman govenor, choke or carb problem?

Old 04-09-05, 10:53 AM
kevin68
Visiting Guest
Craftsman govenor, choke or carb problem?

Hello. I'm a baaaad lawnmower owner. I left the mower outside during our mild winter with gas in the tank. When I took it out this spring it wouldn't start.

I have a 4.5 HP Craftsman, model 917.387220 with an Eager-1 motor. Bowl carb, automatic choke.

I replaced the plug after setting the gap to 0.03, the air filter and cleaned the carb. Now it starts, however, it runs rough and it appears the govenor or choke won't let the engine get up to speed. If I manually move the choke to open up the plate in the carb it revs up and runs fine. I know I put the linkage back exactly how it was.

I may have overextended the governor spring when assemblying everything back together.

If it helps, here's a picture of my mower showing the carb before I removed it. mistreated mower....

Any help is greatly apprecitated. In the meantime I'm headed down the road to borrow a friend's mower.

Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-05, 08:36 PM
When you say you manually move the choke to open up the plate, is this an automatic choke? If it's a manual choke, if you open the choke and it smoothes out, it must be OK. Maybe I'm confused in what you're saying. If it's automatic, perhaps the throttle linkage needs adjstment.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 04-10-05, 09:00 AM
kevin68
Visiting Guest
Yes, it's an automatic choke as far as I know. There is no manual choke lever on the handle. But there is a plate with some linkage on the top of the carb I can move. Take a look at the picture I took.

Would over extending the governor spring cause this behavior? If so, where would I get a replacement? I've tried the Sears spare parts site, but I'm not very good at finding stuff on that site.

Kevin

Old 04-10-05, 08:48 PM
Sounds like you may have stretched the spring. Get the mod# and serial # off engine(usually on the fan shroud).Go to local OPE repair shop and see if they have or can get a new spring.
As for the choke I'm not familiar with automatics. Perhaps someone else on the forum can elaborate on it. If the new spring doesn't fix it, hopefully someone here can walk you thru it.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Old 04-11-05, 12:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Kevin!

That mower has no choke. You'll need to remove the bolt that holds the bowl on, and clean out the tiny holes in it. There are 4. 2 oppose each other near the head of the bolt. One goes down through the center, and one tiny one (the one that's probably giving you trouble) is in an unthreaded section of the bolt near the end. Use a wire and carb cleaner, or a torch tip cleaner works very well to clean it out.