Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

DCS6401 Makita chainsaw for $200.00 used?

04-09-05, 05:34 PM   #1  
DCS6401 Makita chainsaw for $200.00 used?

Home depot has a rental chainsaw marked down for sale for $200.00. New it goes for around $500.00. It is a makita DCS6401 with probably a 20" bar. The bar is warn some and the chain is ok. The saw looks to be in good condition. I looked it up as it is a 64cc 4.7hp, 3.9cu. Is this saw worth buying. I cut firewood about 5 times a year for two families. Thanks for your advice. dave

Sponsored Links

04-09-05, 05:49 PM   #2  
Guess the real question is...is it worth it to you?
40% is a good price for a used saw. Can you get parts for it? A worn chain or bar is just the way it is with chainsaws. When people rent a tool, you know they don't care about how they use it. A little maintenance though, and you could have a great saw that will last for years. Good luck with your choice.
Ask if they have a maintenance record for it.

04-09-05, 08:19 PM   #3  
makita chainsaw

Thanks for your reply and comments. I really don't need the chainsaw however I would say it is worth the price. If I were to buy it I would either just sharpen the chain that is on there and buy an extra chain or buy a 24" or 28" bar and new chain. I mostly use a 57cc mac 10-10s with 20" bar and another mac 10-10s with a 28" bar. I have smaller chainsaws but find myself using these mostly all the time. I guess I'm trying to find an excuse to buy another chainsaw. Yea I guess rental equipment does take a beating. I just heard they were very good chainsaws. dave

04-13-05, 06:09 AM   #4  
bought the chainsaw

I went down and bought the chainsaw. I had the salesman that does the maintenance on all the tools start it up and it started right up easily on the third pull. It really sounded good so I took it. I got an extra used free chain with it. Everytime someone rents a chainsaw and brings it back they throw out the used chain and put on a new chain on. This extra chain looked like brand new. This makita is made in germany. Thanks very much for your advice. Oh yes, I signed an "as is" form. I think the saw will be just fine. dave

Search this Thread