Oil Viscosity for b&s

Old 04-10-05, 05:13 AM
cabbageleaf
Visiting Guest
Oil Viscosity for b&s

Would it be advantagous to use a synthetic oil rather than the usual 30 weight in my older briggs 400cc, 11 hp, model 252707,type0638-01,code 85031811,i'm ready to get it going this season and holding off on the new oil until i hear from someone on here...Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-05, 11:16 AM
Briggs and Stratton says that you can use regular 10W30 oil in their engines but you must check the oil more often when you do. I've tried the regular 10W30 myself and found that the oil consumption will be higher than straight 30 weight oil. At the moment I put 10W30 synthetic in just about every engine that I own. Synthetics will thin out less at higher temperatures than regular oil so are a little more suitable for air cooled engines. Cylinder temperatures will be higher on an air cooled engine than on a liquid cooled one so any oil that thins out less at higher temperatures will provide better lubrication qualities at normal engine loads. Of course the down side is that the synthetics are more expensive. The normal Briggs engine uses less than a quart of oil so the increase in cost is minimal.